Toro 21" proline/control bar adjustment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nt1, Apr 2, 2005.

1. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

How do I loosen the tension on the control bar without loosening the control knob?

In other words, I have the control knob turned all the way up for maximum tension on the belt and maximum speed but this causes the control bar to very tight to pull up on.

Would a cable adjustment help?

On my other toros it is much easier to pull up on the control bar yet they are still tweaked for speed.

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Increase rpm to 3650

3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I had the same problem on one of my units. The problem is not the self propel cable but the carb cable. It is the one on the other side of the handle. You can check to see if it is the problem by squeezing the lever like you normally would for mowing and then you can feel the cable and see if it is unusually tight. If it is, you can move the "sheath" a little after you loosten off the nut that holds it to the handle.

4. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Hey shouldn't you be using an alias right now as you said bye to us a couple days ago? LOL

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I've received over 500 PM's & e-mails Begging me to Stay On....This is an Encore Post.

rpm Plays a Significant Role in the Production of Your Mower.

6. nt1

Quote:
    I had the same problem on one of my units. The problem is not the self propel cable but the carb cable. It is the one on the other side of the handle. You can check to see if it is the problem by squeezing the lever like you normally would for mowing and then you can feel the cable and see if it is unusually tight. If it is, you can move the "sheath" a little after you loosten off the nut that holds it to the handle.

I have already tried loosening the "engine kill/start" cable but when I loosen it enough to reduce tension on the control bar there is not enough tension on the "engine kill/start" cable to pull the spring away from the ground.
    So I cannot start the mower without that tension on the start/kill cable.

What about disconnecting that cable altogether and installing some kind of manual toggle like start/stop switch.

7. nt1

Any suggestions on how to disconnect/bypass the brake cable?

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Does the Toro 21" Have a blade clutch?

9. nt1

No blade clutch, no bbc, just 3 cables
    1. throttle
    2. brake/start/stop
    3. drive cable