1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro 21" Proline with Briggs 5.5 OHV

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TXbulldog, Dec 16, 2006.

1. TXbulldog

TXbulldog LawnSite Member

Was the Toro Proline 21" with the 5.5 Briggs GTS OHV engine a dependable combination? I have the opportunity to buy one that a homeowner used for 7 years for $200. This mower has seen no commercial use. What do you think?
  2. Jordan River

Jordan River LawnSite Member

I don't know bout briggs, but I bought a husqvarna with a Honda 5.5OHV new for 230 and the 5.5 didn't cut it...pardon the pun. I feel the 5.5 didn't have enough torque to turn the bermuda we have in west TN. And the bermuda wasn't even tall. Now, for trimming purposes, the 5.5 may do ok, with the lighter weight it offers. However, I cut some entire lawns with a push, and will get the largest HP on a 21" I can find.
  3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

:) I haven't seen a proline with a briggs, ive got a older moder with the Suzuki 4.5hp its been bullet proof, but there gone now, id stick with a 6+hp Kawi if i was lookin to get one......Marks Mowing Service
  4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a toro proline 21 that has a 5.5 horse briggs and it has never let me down. It is over 7 years old.
  5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I do not like that engine. Underpowered compared to Honda or Kawi 5.5 engines and have more problems with them as well.
  6. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

The engine is fine, especially with low hours on it. If it is BBC, more of the "power" you are experiencing deals with new belts and cables. I have had about 6 of those units. The engine failed much less than the other components.
  7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Im a huge KAWI fan, but I have a 21" with a Briggs on it...and I swear this thing should be at the Smithsonian..because I'm rough as hell on it and I think I could put some buckshot in that thing and it would still keep running!! So I can't bash on Briggs too much.
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Have had two. one lasted 10 years and the other still runs at about 12 years old. Never even replaced a belt on either, btw, though they are not full time mowers, I use them only on a few tiny lots and to get to gated back yards. Only time they didn't start was when I got some grass in the gas supply and it clogged the carbs. installed fuel filters in line and no more problems.
  9. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

In full commercial use, the Briggs may require more maintainence than a Kawasaki for optimal running, but a homeowner used Proline for $200, it seems like a good deal.
  10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

if it is truely the commercial proline it is worth well over $200 w/o the engine so with the Brigs it is a great buy.

You will not regret it.