1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro 21" ProLine ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PCM-LC, Sep 27, 2004.

1. PCM-LC

PCM-LC LawnSite Member

I recently let my son talk me into getting a 21" Proline Self Propelled with a Honda to replace the two Toro Recylers that were stolen from us.

Maybe it is me, but I think that it is a "heavy, over priced, awkard mower" to operate. One of our helper this past weekend tied a piece of weedeater string on the handle bar in attempt to keep it running. the unit got away from him and and bent a blade and adapter.

If there something that I am missing that will let you pull the mower backward instead of having to shift it to neutral evertime?
  2. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Just let go of the handle a bit (so the wheels are not spinning fast) and then pull backward.
  3. PCM-LC

PCM-LC LawnSite Member

On mine, I have the let the handle out a good 5" before the wheels stop spinning and 1/4" more the mower shut off. I talked to the dealer that I bought it from and he said there is not an adjustment on it.
  4. dfb

dfb LawnSite Member
    from jax, fl

In my manual for the 2 cycle, only the last inch of travel should engage the wheels. There is a adjustment knob where the cable goes into the tranny. The adjustment instructions are in the manual.
  5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

release belt tension w/the adjust knob...unfortunately Prolines are now almost as Heavy & Bulky as the Honda commercials because they all have enviro-nut Approved 4 Strokes !
  6. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

We have a 2004 21 inch Proline 3sp BBC 22177 with the Kawasaki 6.5 HP and normally leave palm of hands on top of bar and pull the bail up with fingers. Sometimes I leave the right hand on side and move bail. To stop foreward travel to turn or back up we only have to release bail about 1.5 inches. The blades will disengage if the bail move about 4 inches. Sounds like an cable adjustment is in order. Your dealer needs to try harder to make it correct. Let the dealer test mow and see for himself why this is not acceptable. Once the adjustment is correct I suspect you will like the mower.