Toro 21" review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, Jul 26, 2006.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I've been doing this now for a while and decided to buy a new Toro 21" and I'm very impressed. I've owned the two strokes in the past and the 4 isn't as powerful, but it's a nice quite tank in it's self. I do 60 properties with a Gravely 34z and this new Toro and I can't think of a better combination for doing residential and small commercial. Did anyone buy the Honda version and can you tell me why it's more expensive than the Kawasaki? Honda is a smaller engine...

[​IMG]

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

To me it's more exspensive beecause it's Honda, they last longer.

3. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

In my town ( Caldwell Idaho ) the Hondas are cheaper. I can pick one up for $985.00 and thats the redesigned deck etc. the Toro's are about $1285.95 not even their new deck. You have the old deck.

4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Martyman,

Congratulations on the purchase. I own 2 toro/exmark 21" commercial units. The exmark has the kawasaki and the toro has the honda engine on it. Both engines are excellent. The only differences I can tell are:
    Kawasaki
    louder
    pressure lubrication
    uses a bit more fuel
    oil filter to change adds to expense but creates longer oil change intervals
    more powerful than Honda
    bit heavier than Honda

Honda
    more quieter
    good power but not as much as kawasaki
    more fuel efficient
    no pressure lubrication
    no oil filter but shorter oil change intervals (50 hours vs 100 hours on the Kawasaki)

I don't know why Honda equipped toros are more expensive. My guess is it's Hondas way of steering people away from the Honda equipped toros and towards the honda commercial units which have a cheaper price.

Anyways congrats on the purchase. I have used a lot of 21 mowers and to me the Toro/Exmark 21" are the best. They bag well, mulch wonderfully (more so on the non BBC units) and are productive. Enjoy

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

That isnt true. Any vertical shaft engine needs a pressurized lubrication system of some type. I know some Briggs models are not full pressure...they just let the bottom bearing bathe in the oil. But I think Honda would be full pressure...just no filter.

We are just starting as a Toro commercial dealer. I have not seen pricing on them yet but from other product lines I can tell you the Honda models are usually out of wack price wise.

The worst I can think of is on Ryan Aerators. I wanna say our cost between a briggs and a honda is 300 or so. The briggs is/was a 3.5 6:1 gear reduction...now its a 6 or 6.5 OHV model. The Honda is a 4HP 6:1. If you look in a briggs top 40 book they have the 6.5 6:1 engine going for like 450. I can sell a 5.5 Honda 6:1 for the same price. Something just doesnt add up.

6. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member