1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro 21" Suzuki 5.5hp 2-cycle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EagleLandscape, Oct 8, 2003.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Ok, so I bought the Toro 21" Suzuki 5.5hp 2-cycle today. First commercial mower I bought, just been using thesde hondas for the past year. But I was asking the guy at the shop what preventative maintenence I should do. He just said make sure the air filter is always oiled. Ok, easy enough. BUt what kind? weight? just a regular 10w30? Or what? And is it advisable to pul the mower out of the trailer backwords when its in 3rd gear (not running of course), or do I need to put it into nuetral to move it in reverse? thanks?

Oh, I got a new truck too:)
  2. KL3

KL3 LawnSite Member

I have taken them off of the trailer in gear since I bought my first one around 1985. Never a problem. Just keep the air filter clean and damp with clean motor oil. I was told once to keep it greased but don't over grease it.

Good luck
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've had mine for 3 full seasons now.

I keep the air filter clean and oiled with whatever motor oil I have available, normally 5w30.

I change the plug annually and make sure the gap is correct.

I use only hi test gasoline and brand name oil in the mix like Stihl or Echo oil.

I change the fuel filter annually as well.

Keep all the zerks greased monthly.

So far it has never let me down and starts on the first or at most the second pull every time.:D

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

My oldest is from 1994. I had a new long block installation in 2002 but the machine has performed flawlessly otherwise. Given it was 8 years old when replaced I have nothing to complain about.

Once you get around the substantial capital cost, you realize in the long run, its a less expensive machine to own.
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I found one of these things in a yard, still got it......how expensive would it be to rebuild it? Everything is there including the bag but the controls are a little rusty. I want to put it in service next seasons but want it running right.
  6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Heh, my suburban uses 10w30, and not sure what my 250 has on it, haven't checked, just got it last weekend. But any motor oil would work though, right? I'm really looking foward to using this mower, and man that trhing is fast as all get out compared to my residential 500 dollar hondas:)