Toro 21" [ Suzuki vs Kawasaki/Honda]

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ZaK18, Apr 10, 2004.

1. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

I know your fed up with all these threads comparing equipment, but I need know how the new 6hp 4 cycle engines on the toro stack up with the old dependable 5.5 Suzuki. My dealer still has 2 of the Suzuki's left in stock and I cant make my decision. Has anyone used the Honda/kawasaki engines? any input is greatly appreciated.:D

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I prefer the Suzuki's..almost Zero Maint....Very Light...Indestructible!

3. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

How is the preformance. Are the 4 cycle more powerful? I dont mind changing the oil once a week if I have a better mower.

4. id get the 2 cycle...have your dealer crank the rpm's up to 3700 with the blades spinning and its leaves a awesome cut...cant be out mulched by any other 21 inch mower.
    i have one ive had since 89 still chugging along.

Expensive but you cant ware em out .

5. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

HONDA HONDA HONDA HONDA

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Another vote for the Suzuki!

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I would buy the kaw engine. I have one on my JD 21. Its a super good motor. The Susuki is lower on power.

8. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

I think the kawa has more power and torque. Even though it is more maintenance I do not regret getting rid of my suzuki and getting the 6.5 kawa.

9. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 2 Toro Proline 21's one with a 5.5hp Kawasaki and the other has a 5.5hp Suzuki. The Kawasaki has more torque in thick grass, such as Bermuda and Zyosia. There is less maintenance on the Suzuki and it has a larger fuel tank. We like the Kawasaki better, but wish it had a bigger fuel tank. ( Suzuki has 1 gal tank)

10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The biggest benefit to the Suzukis is the light weight...If your guys are cutting 15-20 small res. props a day w/Prolines the Kaw will wear them out quick... turning & pulling backwards & occasional lifting...have found better production w/Suzukis.