Toro 22' or Honda 21' (self propelled)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Nov 18, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

These are my choices

Honda HRC215

Toro personal pace

What would you buy?
  2. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Honda. I have a toro and a Honda. Honda works better
  3. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

Bought two personal pace mowers this season and they are headed for the dumpster. Scrapped one for parts and now the other is dying a slow death. Real problem is not the engine, the wheels, gears and transmission. Made money with them and the personal pace was great. Looking for two new small mowers as we speak.
  4. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Honda all the way
  5. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

Have you considered a John Deere, mate? I don't know if they are available down under.
  6. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Nah mate I don't think JD dose alot of smaller stuff down here. They mostly catter for farmers.
    Thanks though!

Thanks for the replies!
    keep em comn
  7. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I've run all three (honda, Toro and Deere). The Honda did a great job, was really quiet and pulled really well. I also liked the fact that the motor would continue to run if you left it to go dump the bag. I bought a Toro 21" super recycler and I agree with earlier posts here...the gears (transmission) and drive system are garbage. I currently run Deere JS63 21" mowers for my smaller yards. I don't think they bag as well as the Hondas but sure do a better job mulching. For me it came down to price...Honda was about $1200 Cnd and the Deere was about $750 (with a 6.75 briggs). If I were a rich man, I'd go Hondas but now that I'm into the deere's I think I'll stay green. Just my 0.02.
  8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I have a toro personal pace and my honest opinion is if you don't use for daily use like mine then it's fine but there is a sour point it sucks b*lls on hills the tranny slips but if your going to use it every day go for the honda i don't own one but so far i like their engins i have one on my wheel blower very easy to start

I hope that i have helped in some way Alex please let us know what you end up buying
  9. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Definitely Honda over the homeowner Toro.

Are commercial Toro's available?
  10. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, go for the Honda. They have a lot of racing technology in their engines. It will last forever. The extra money spent on the honda is in their dependability. A good investment if you will use it every day. My .02