Toro 252 valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SOSINC, Jul 18, 2006.

1. SOSINC

SOSINC LawnSite Member

I got a Toro 252 valve that has a good connection and a new solidnoid on it. The problem that I am having with it is that is will not come on automatically. I thought that the solidnoid was bad but I have replaced it and I still get nothing when I turn it on at the controller. I have got a good connection from point A to point B and I also try using a different zone conection on the controller too and it still would not work. So does anyone here have any idea of what the problem could be? Thanks

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you move another zone wire to it to see if it fires up. e.g. take the wire from the valve next to it and see if it works on that station. Take a valve and try the common and the zone terminal at the clock to check to see if the terminal is good then if you have any spare wires already ran try switching to that color. I am probably sounding like an idoit since you may have already tried these items.

3. SOSINC

SOSINC LawnSite Member

Thanks ICS but I have already tried that too. Is it likely that the valve went bad and that the only option that I have left is to replace the valve?

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Probably not.

Put a meter on the wire and its ground and see what voltage you get.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

First you make sure that the wiring is sound, then proceed from there. Why not replace the diaphragm assembly? Or just swap out the guts and bonnet with a new 252 valve? (we are assuming that any flow control on the valve is in the open position)

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Generally speaking when one says a valve is "bad" or "won't come on automatically" they often mean different things. Are you (1) saying the solenoid won't energize or (2) the solenoid energizes but the valve won't open up?

By replacing the solenoid I'm assuming that the solenoid won't energize so you're looking at a solenoid (already replaced), wiring (you say it's good from A to B), controller, pitot/bonnet/diaphragm or no water to the valve problem. If you have power to the solenoid and it hums then your problem is not with the controller, wiring or solenoid. If you can manually fire the valve then you don't have a water problem. Replace the valve. This is more common than one might expect.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

This was my first thought as well. If there is a flow controll, make sure it is open.

8. SOSINC

SOSINC LawnSite Member

OK, I got the flow control open, try 3 different solidnoid(1 used, 2 new), got 24 volts going to the valve, try a different terminal at the controller, try a different wire for another valve, water is on, valve work when turn on manually, change out the top half of the valve also just to see what happens and I still can't get it to turn on automatically. So what could be the problem then? Thanks guys

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A blockage in the valve body will make it fail to open. Probe it with a marking flag.

10. I replaced a toro valve last year with the same problem. I tried new solenoids(3) new diaphragms(2), new bonnet with new solenoid and new diaphragm. Still would not work. Ended up replacing the entire valve.