TORO 283L Need Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Stan MI, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

This mower has been flawless for me, owned since new. Took it out just to let it run for a while because it had been sitting for a couple of months. Noticed the temperature gauge in the red after it ran a while. Turned it off and let it cool down. Opened the radiator cap and it looks like it has been dry for quite a while. Filled to run off with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water. Restarted and now the gauge rises to what I would call higher than normal temp and falls just to the bottom of the green zone and repeats this process over and over. Seems OK, but now the fan never comes on (it did in the past). Is it possible I have just had low coolant for a long (read as I haven't checked it often enough) time and this is normal operation or would a visit to the mower doctor be in order.

2. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello,
    service advice on liquid cooled engines
    Even though liquid cooling is a very good idea ,if u do not look after it it will easily cause destruction of your engine

Most likely it is either a faulty thermostat and/ or the system is not full of coolant and/or the coolling system still has air in side
    replace thermastat
    bleed/purge air from cooling system

Unlikely but also possible
    heat damaged sender unit for temp guage or
    heat damaged sender unit for the electric fan

Recommendations
    radiater be removed and internally rodded out [cleans cooling tubes ]
    full inspection of cooling fan system
    full pressure test of cooling system [external leaks ]
    pressre test system for blown head gasket

Over heating shortens the life of engine [seals start to leak ,, piston rings loose tension causing oil usage etc

A professional person who is experienced in cooling systems is highly suggested

tomo:waving:

3. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

Thanks tomo

I will have it looked at.