Toro 300-1 Stream Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by dhess, Jul 31, 2008.

1. dhess

dhess LawnSite Member

I was working on a repair job today on a Toro system and ran across the toro 300 series (Stream Rotor). 2 had stopped rotating and one got hit probably by mower or edger at one time (not our company, really!)

anyway I don't even carry toro stuff in my van...

Are these things still even made? Local Ewing had only 15 in stock...unknown if they could order more (not that I needed that many).

Is the XP300 the replacement?

these discontinued?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, 300's are still made, and they are still the most reliable gear-drive rotor.

XP-300 is a longer-throw version, and not applicable for replacing 300 rotors.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto that, never pull a Stream-Rotor out of the ground. They make three nozzles;
    01, 02, 03...measure the head to head distance, use the the 02 if the contractor knew
    what he was doing. They make a couple of low-flow nozzles if pressure is a problem.
    We wave at Ed Hunter every time someone mentions our beloved Stream-Rotors.

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Seems Mr Leary and I have very different views about this one...

I find that nine times out of 10 the installer and/or designer spaced them wrong.

I find the RB 3500 is a good replacement when new construction in the neighborhood has lowered water pressure to the point that 300's don't turn very well or throw as far as they used to.

Of course, you have to change them all...

I gave away all my remaining arc discs and nozzles via something called freecycle.com last year. I'm done with Toro 300s. I'm tired of all the gummed ups gears, etc.

5. Longhorn in Round Rock should have some Stream Rotors. If not they can have them shipped from the Plano store. I know, I just loaded up on a few for repairs.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I generally don't see crappy 300 installs, because most installers willing to put up with the 300's learning curve don't want to waste their time installing crappy work.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Seems Mr. Cantanese and I have very different views about the 3500 :)

I'm tired of replacing 3500s that I just installed that leak outrageously at the wiper seals or just stop turning. No more mini rotors. Period.

8. dhess

dhess LawnSite Member

this was a homeowner install according to neighbor. Spacing maybe between 24 thru 28 ft. Spacing is screwed in a few spots but I think the coverage will be good enough after straightening some of the heads.

I was tempted to use mp rotator as replacements for ones that weren't rotating, but looks like the PR rates are a lot higher on the 300s. I guess these aren't a low pressure solution then?

I also saw for the first time a toro nozzle with 5 adjustment screws. 4 placed on each side of nozzle and middle adjust flow screw. It seemed cool at first until I started adjusting them. They were used for end and center strips...spaced almost 20 ft in places :(

They still make these too?

fimco thanks for headsup. I really need to make a small kit of toro stuff someday...

9. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Now THERE'S a big surprise.

10. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Does that include MP's?

1. Those old Toro adjustables were great for dialing in wierd patterns but somewhat of a PITA to adjust when running.

2. Why do you need a Toro kit? Maybe some stuff for the 300's, but everything else they've made in the past 20 years is junk, IMO.