Toro 300 Series

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jimmyburg, Jun 14, 2012.

1. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

I have ran across a few of these in the last couple of weeks. They were installed at least 15 years ago and still working.

My question is - Can you compare these rotors to Rain Bird or Hunter as far an better product for water conservation?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

They are probably the most reliable rotor head still in production. Nothing is better for retracting when the watering is done. The fact that the entire mechanism is encased in a basket filter gives it extra protection from any stray grit in the water. (not for sandy water, though, or you are endlessly cleaning screens)

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The 300 "Stream-Rotor" was invented by Ed Hunter, unfortunately, he was a design engineer at Toro then, and they had the rights. It still stands as the finest rotor ever made,especially if it's used in a turf application with foliage and trees. The reason most contractors don't use them is they are very picky about head-to-head and pressure. Plus, done right, it's SO pretty to watch work!

4. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

neat to watch is right....

ive always liked them.

the smaller nozzle 01's always stopped
    turning before a 03 nozzle.....

5. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Their biggest weakness was spacing issues. There were the -01, -02 and -03 nozzles... I think they were at something like 15 to 18, 21 to 24 and 28-32 feet?

A landscape architects spec'd them for a couple of maintenance jobs I had in the early 80's with no regard to spacing in turf, which soured me on them. We kept changing nozzles and the dry spots just moved around a little.

Then later they came out with an adjustable radius OMNI nozzle, but the cap would blow off if you as much as breathed on it.

The shrub version made a lot of sense on hillsides of ground cover though... when spaced and timed right.

Those oil bath gear drives used to quit regularly too.

6. irrig8r

What was the name of the one that Ed started Hunter with.

Instead of metal discs it had the plastic "cone" nozzle much like the MP Rotator now does (as I recall.) Did Walla-Walla have to license that from him?

7. irrig8r

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  8. irrig8r

When I said "started with" I mean the rotor with streams similar to the 300 after he left Toro... I had never heard about Moist O' Matic until today.

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

I do like stream rotors, never thought about it but they do last a long time.other than that I can't stand toro irrigation products.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Moist o matic was the riverside based company toro bought. The stream rotor was an awesome head back in the late 70s. Space them every 18' and watch them run was as cool as it gets. They had a bigger version of the stream rotor whose name escapes me.