toro 32" belt drive or Quick 32?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Mar 10, 2008.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm looking to purchase my first mid-size walk behind. I've narrowed my choices down to:
    1. Toro 32" fixed deck, belt drive, T-bar.
    2. Quick 32.

Price is pretty much similar. Toro is a bit longer but seems to be built better than the Quick 32". The Quick, however, has the hydro tranny. One thing I don't like about either machine is changing the cutting heights...seems like a pain.

Unit will be used primarliy on small suburan lots (typically, 40-50 feet by 120 feet or so). All have tight gates to the backyard.

Any input from users of either machine would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest the quick. I have never run one, but it has one thing that is very important, instant reverse. No gears to shift. I demoed a t-bar 36 in fixed deck and was not impressed. However it was the first belt drive i ever ran, i have always ran dual hydros before and it is really hard to switch to the gear drive. Also the height will be easier to adjust on the quick. If i ever decide to get rid of my snapper pro 36, i will give the quick a shot i think.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you are not set totally on those two snapper has a pretty nice new 36" with easy deck adjustment. It is a dual hydro under $4K....new design this year.

4. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

Is that a fixed deck on that snapper? just curious

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

No it is a floating deck with two hand cranks to raise/lower. They had the height changing device on previous mowers just made a little better.

6. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

$4k seems a bit steep, but because your question was regarding 32 inch mowers and not 36, specifically the Toro or Quick, keep this in mind:

With The Quick 36's (I haven't used a 32 yet, but it can only be easier or at least the same) you can change the deck height in under 2-3 minutes. The front takes no time at all, and the back requires a 3/4 in. wrench or socket. 2-3 minutes?!

Plus the very best customer support and manufacturer in the industry today. All you are servicing is 5K lots with small gates?

Go with the Quick IMO.

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest the Quick 32 as well !!

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

look at the toro 32 floater! awesume mower! i highly recommend it-deck height change is quick and simple. ultra reliable

9. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on your application. If you are going to cut hills the toro. I have ran belt for 10 years and the only time I have ran into problems is when it rains the belts will not go. I have looked into the quick and they seem to be a great product.

My reasons for not purchasing one is they have trouble on hills due to the single hydro. I also think you would be more fatigue due to muscling the machine during turning. Belt drive is no hydro but it will go across hills and turn on its own.

I think quick are some of the nicest people I have ever talked to and would recommend there product in the right application.

10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Is that the one with the single 32" blade? Always hear conflicting info on this one...when does it excel...when does it not excel?