1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro 32" Recycler Mower-Need Advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jul 23, 2001.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently came across a good deal for a used Toro 32" Recycler WB. It has a 12.5 Kohler engine on it and seems to be in good use. I don't know whether to take the deal for the following reasons:
    1. This model has a floating deck but only 1 long 32" blade. I have heard that this causes the machine to scalp.
    2. It has no bag. That's another $500.
    3. I don't know if it will significantly decrease my mowing times. I only have 10 lots which I do with a 21" John Deere and 21" Toro commercial units. Is this thing gonna help me?
    I would appreciate any advice from those of you who have the machine or have seen it work. My other alternative is to finance a 36" Toro with a fixed deck. Yet, the cost doesn't seem justifiable given the part-time nature of my business. Thanks for the help.
  2. Back in the day when I was a young scrub I had a Toro rear engine riding mower with a 12 hp briggs and a 32" deck.

I had just a mulching blade and a discharge cover and left a trail of clippings along the one edge of the deck. I mostly used it the side discharge mode with a blade with lift.

If this unit has the proper installed plastic kickers and a proper recycler blade it should work fine.

If you don't like that deck e-mail me and I will trade you a 48" recycler deck and carrier plus the drive tires (32" have smaller sized rear wheels and tires vs. larger units) somewhere halfway in upstate NY.
  3. joed

Is the 48" recycler you are talking about a fixed deck? I never knew that there was a 48" floating recycling deck
  4. Yes it is a full floater that was produced in the early 1990's.

It is a welded beast and is as HD as they come. There are two 23" blades that turn into each other in separate chambers. One small 10" blade is in the center out front cuts the part the twin blades don't. Be advised you will have to use 2 or 3 gear in very heavy growth and the deck will need cleaning more than a side discharge machine but there is no bagging issues.

A pic of the underside of the deck is attached.

5. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

I own the exact same unit of which you speak. We put it in backyards where gates limit the size of machine that can be used. It will run circles around any 21'' unit and decrease your current cutting time. The single blade does not scalp and gives a good cut either mulching or open chute. If you are in this for the long haul go for the 36'' otherwise buy a jungle wheels or some kind of sulky and get to work.
  6. joed

What's a jungle weed? Does the 32" have a sulky attachment?
  7. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

Stay far away from any belt driven machine if your doing Toronto city lots. Your 21 will run circles around a 32 belt on our small props. Go hydro.
    If you're getting that Toro from Kooy Bros. it may be the one we tried last year & quickly discarded. The 32 deck was a seller for gates but getting that machine around those small, tightly landscaped lots makes the 21 a better choice.
  8. joed

Thanks for the advice. I know the hydro is the way to go but given its cost and the part time nature of my business, it is just too much to spend. A new 36" hydro goes for about $8 000 and for that money I might as well start looking for a good used Walker. I wonder if a 36" Walker wouldn't be a better bet. Nonetheless, it's hard to find a good used 36" hydro. The only steering system I like is Toro and Exmark's ECS.
    Most of my properties average about 3 000 sq feet. That's why I think the 32" Toro might be o.k. What is it that you did not like about it when you tried it out? The only thing I didn't like was the big blade. Look forward to hearing from you.
  9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would be more than happy to sell you 36 hydros for 8000.00 a piece ........ call me !!!
    I think your numbers were mistyped there....

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Mowerconsultant-I think Joed was talking about Canadian currency. LOL. I jumped when I first saw that then I realized he's Canadian. But with the currency exchange, that makes it about $4750-$5000 American? That's a bit too high as well...