1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro 32" t-bar engine choice question.(Kohler vs Kawaski)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tlvoskamp, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Tlvoskamp

Tlvoskamp LawnSite Member

Hello all, I have a engine question for you professionals. I have the choice of getting a 32" fixed deck with a 15hp Kawi or a floating deck with a 13hp Kohler. What would your advice be? which engine do you think would be the most reliable.

2. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I had the Kohler on my toro 32". I have the 15 kawi on my 32" Stander. The Kawi starts easy. More power is better. As far as the Toro goes I had the single blade model and it gave a very poor cut, no lift. I don't know how the twin blade model is but I would stay away from the single 32" if it is still made.
  3. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I can't speak for the 15 hp but the 12.5 hp is an awesome engine. I had one on a Toro 36" and it lasted 14 years and it was still running when I replaced it. Some guys love their fixed decks but I need a floating deck. In the transition zone I mow different types of grass, from zosia to tall fescue and need to change the deck height often. You'll have to decide which deck is best for you.