Toro 325Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Father&Sons, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Father&Sons

Father&Sons LawnSite Member

First I would like to thank everyone who participates on this board. I have learned alot of information in a short period of time.

I would like everyones opinion of the Toro 325Z Mower. Our business just picked one up. Its a 2001 With the power collection system, 25 HP Kohler, 48 Guardian deck and 80 hrs on the meter. Previously it was owned by a local business man to use in his yard. We paid 5600 for the unit (probably got hosed) and the dealer changed all the fluids and belts plus gave us a 1 year warranty on the unit.

Now to the point, those in the know what should we pay particular attention to, and what do you think of the price. Did three customers lawns with it tonight and it ran out great. We are new to the business (yes legal) and this is our first real piece of machinery.

2. bluemoon7

bluemoon7 LawnSite Member

I have one and I can tell you alot. This mower does have it's place, but also has many negative drawbacks. It has a great cut in short grass but misses in long grass. It is also great on steep slopes as long as you drive down, it will back up literally anything. Mine has about 700 hours on it and has had a lot of repairs, hydro pump (warranty), blower bearings, complete blower assembly, gearbox for the deck (warranty), infared sensor in box,muffler baffle is loose and rattles, and on and on. The tube from the deck to the blower has also been replaced 4 times. any time you flip the deck up (for cleaning) that thing wants to jam. Not to mention any parts you buy from Toro for this mower is big $. The deck gearbox puked at 100 hours. The pump went at 600 and after a fighting match w/Toro they finally paid for it. And yes I perforn maintenance and take care of my stuff. I have two Toro dealers close to me and one of them (not where I bought this one) refuses to even sell this machine.

3. bluemoon7

Hope I did not scare you buy what I wrote. The mower does do a good job and has it's place. The biggest thing you want to watch is the blower bearings. Change them every year or you will be putting a blower in it. Keep the deck and chute extremely clean and make sure you grease the driveshaft to the deck a lot. ( 2 u-joints and the splines) Also when you flip the deck up, watch the chute going to the blower. It will split at the bottom coroners, but if you watch you can make it last a lot longer. We added tbas on the blower because that chute wouldn't go back in the blower. Toro had one tab. Well hope I helped, email if you need anything. I could literally write a book about this mower.

4. Father&Sons

bluemoon,
    Thanks for pointing out some problem areas, I pulled the mower apart today to clean it my way, and noticed the split on the blower tube. Already called the dealer and will have a new one by Wednesday.
    Have you also noticed that your anti scalp rollers have problems. All of mine were siezed, pulled them apart and regreased thebolts, works fine now but rollers were all flattened out (dealer replacing those to).
    I agree this mower has its place, not for real tight locations, but it has already cut my time in half on some big jobs.
    keep the info coming.

5. Father&Sons

Blower belt cut right through the forward ignition wire saturday, watch your routing on this. Had enough of this unit already, returned it to the dealer this AM and got all my monies back. Turned around and bought a new smaller Z for the business. Didn't do it untill the dealer this untill he refunded my, but my local Toro dealer is great, its because of him I will only buy Toro.:)

6. bluemoon7

wow, sorry to hear about the igniution wire..... at least your out of that machine. I wish I could get rid of mine but I would take such a bath on it it's not worth it. I guess I will run it in to the ground. Good luck with the new machine. :)

7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Good case for 'demoing' a unit. I also purchased on of those things and suffered for a month (thought it would get better (not)), dealer took it back as a trade on a real Z (side discharge), for my application the 325 just did not fit, I did not have any break downs but the frequency of dumping the collection box, having to go real slow in the thick stuff, pain in the butt getting things to line up after tilting up the deck were just too much to tolerate. Best place for one of these machines is on a 'highly manicured lawn' as the quality of cut was fantastic, just all the other BS turned me off as well as not being a production machine.
    BobR