Toro 33 wb cord hard to pull?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Green' Go, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Green' Go

Green' Go LawnSite Member

Here is the deal. I met a guy with the above mentioned mower and he is sick of the difficulty the cord is giving him.
    He said I could have it for a rediculious low price is I would just come get it.
    He says he starts it everyday and still uses it.
    He says that when you pull the cord about half way out it becomes extremly difficult to pull and it picks up that side of the mower that the pullcord is on. Then the weight of the mower helps him pull the cord the rest of the way out and it starts. He said something about valve seating issues is what someone told him and followed with he is not very mechanically inclined so he didn't know what was wrong with it.
    Any ideas?
    The price is really good so I am going to buy anyhow but would like an idea of what to expect.
    Thanks, Green

2. S DIAMOND

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

There can be several variables involved with this. However, go with what I feel is an obvious decompression problem. Inspect the exhaust valve for proper clearance first. :) While you have the cover(s) off, inspect all valve clearances.

3. Green' Go

Suppose there is a problem with the valves, what am I looking at to fix it?

4. S DIAMOND

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

Depends on the age and type of the engine. Who's engine is on it? Kohler, Kawai, Briggs, Honda?

Best case scenario regarding valve would be that the "gap" is to wide not allowing the decomp to do its job. Examine the valve gap (feeler gauge) and make sure the rocker stud is not backing out. The adjustment is easy and not expensive at all. Maybe a replacement valve cover gasket.

Worse case scenario is a damaged cam / decompression mechanism, in which case can be very expensive. Hope this helps some.

5. Green' Go

quess I am going to learn how to do engine repair....