Toro 36/15 Kaw w/ T Bar for $3193?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grits, May 31, 2006.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Just got off the phone with the local Toro dealer he quoted me $3193 for a Toro 36 WB (belts) with Kaw 15 and T Bar for $3195. Is this about the going price? It seems a little high to me, but I really don't know.

2. rickt

rickt LawnSite Member

We paid $2600 for the same thing but a 32"/Kohler 13. The price was $2995 but they made a deal to get it out of there, it had been sitting there for almost a year.

I was told you pay more for TORO brand, which im not sure of. I have a 89 model Toro mower that still works as of this day, never had any problems with it.

3. Grits

from Florida

I figured this mower would be about in the 2600-2800 dollar range. They do not have this mower in stock, so they would have to order it for me. Is there any chance I can haggle the price down a bit? I ask this because I do not know if these prices are negotiable, especially with having to order it. But I have heard that dealers don't make a lot on mowers, and their real income comes from service to the equipment. Whatcha think? Thanks!

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer had one of those in a few weeks ago, it sold for $3246.00

If the dealer has to order the machine, you are mopst likely going to be paying in season prices. I would see if anoth dealer may have one already in stock. You may be a ble to haggle a bit there as he proably wants to move the machine! JMO

5. Grits

from Florida

I don't know what I was doing when I typed the first sentence...guess a little 'tardism kicked in. So it sounds like $3193 is about right at this time for a "needs to be ordered Toro 36WB". He said he had a 32 in stock. Does the 4 inches make that much of a difference? I think there is another Toro dealer somewhere around here. I'll check with them before I purchase. Any more info? Thanks!

6. rickt

rickt LawnSite Member

Yup thats were they get you, you get the warranty but you have to pay that $80 "service fee" to check your mower out each time it breaks down, price depends per dealer though.

The place where i get my equipment at gives you a 11% discount on anything you want, you can get 11% off a $299.99 Echo/etc Weed Trimmer, once you spend $1,000 or more on equipment they add you as a "landscape commercial contractor" which gives you discounts, you might want to ask your dealer about this.

Most small dealers will work on a price (just like buying a car) but if its a huge retail dealer then most likely they wont.

7. jeff stapleton

jeff stapleton LawnSite Member

Im just getting started in the business doing mostly smaller residential what suggestions do you all have on mowers? brand, cut width etc. any comments would greatly appreciated

8. jeff stapleton

jeff stapleton LawnSite Member

Hello all, im just starting a lawn care business/ any comments on mowers would be greatly apprecaited please e-mail me at jeffhdl@comcast.net im not sure i know how to navigate around this site yet mowers, brands, best value for the price etc.. Im mostly doing smaller residential now but have hopes to move into bigger and better

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Jeff, what dealers are in your area? Most of the mowers are a good value and pretty much the same. Let us know what dealers are in your area and what kind of a budget you have to work with!

Good Luck to you & welcome to LAWNSITE!!!

10. gdub

gdub LawnSite Member

Get the new Toro 40" with the TurboForce deck. This is great mower. Fits through all of my fenced yards, but one. Lays some great stripes too; without a kit.