1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro 36" blowing instead of mulching leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gulfstreme, Nov 13, 2006.

1. gulfstreme

gulfstreme LawnSite Member

If I use my Toro 21" there are no leaves left afterwards, it seems to suck leaves in and mulches perfectly, but the 36" blows leaves to the side and creates lines of leaves left over on the lawn.

Do all wb's do this? What about ZTR's?
    Any suggestions for a wb that mulches leaves without blowing?

--Toro 36" with mulch kit and standard mulching blades, model 30317
    --Kohler Command Pro 15hp CV15T-41604
  2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes my mowers do it also...you have to go slower ..its aggravating
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of blades are you using. I have a 36" w/b and it will blow leaves or not, depending upon what blades are mounted. The higher lift blades will have a greater tendency to blow leaves, but the mulching blades (which have little lift) will generally keep all leaves under deck.

For my taste, I usually mount regular Gators. They have a lesser lift than the hi-lift Gator, and much less lift than standard notched air-foil blades. The Snapper Ninja mulching blades I have don't blow out at all, but do a lousy job of mulching. Therefore, I have found I need to find the balance, acceptable mulching function, but with some blowout.
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Use zero lift blades.
  5. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm bumping this old thread before starting a new one.

So using a low lift blade is better than the highlift for minimizing front deck blowout when using a bagger also?

I'm using w/b's and my husqvarna seems to be pretty bad at sucking up the leaves. They do not offer a highlift blade so I bought a Lesco highlift blade with the same specs so it will bolt up. Haven't tried it out yet. Wouldn't the highlift create more suction and bag better than no lift? I do no mulching, so I need the best results bagging.

What about adding a 1/4' thick rubber flap to the whole front of the deck that extends down to the top of the grass?
  6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

do a search for anti blow out baffle
  7. jeffex

8. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

what mowers are you using,what kind of blades, mulching or bagging. I'm still reading threads from what you suggested, but that little metal curve solved the problem?
  9. jeffex

I got the idea from one of the greats on this site Eric ELM 11 yrs ago. I use double blades in an X pattern. One standard lift OEM and one gator blade and a mulch kit for my toro 36". YES that little lip re directs the air and prevents blow out. I used to pop rivet it to the deck but I found over the yrs the duct tape works just as good. Just clean the surface of the deck where you are applying the tape. I requires some re applying of tape depending on how much work you have. A more fixed design is sugested but I am ok with the tape set up. I thought about a rubber strip with a metal overlay screwed to the inside of the deck . It seems that the L shape works best though. As a matter of fact today I'm installing the setup on my 36" since the leaves are starting to fall. Not much grass to mow but the leaves may save my year
  10. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Take one of the washers from underneath and put it on top. This will move your blades up in deck. TA DA Great advise I got from "the Mustang Guy" 6 years ago.