Toro 36 drive belt problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnprosteveo, May 28, 2008.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have a '02 Toro 36 walkbehind, 5 speed gear drive, with a 15hp kohler. Model # 30317.

My problem is the drive belt comes off of the drive pulley under the transmission whenever the mower is put under alot of load. That is, running a sulky thru while cutting tall grass or going up my trailer ramp sometimes. It does fine just walking behind it under normal cutting conditions.

My dealer has said its about time for a tranny rebuild. He quoted me around $200. The drive pulley does have some play, but not enough to throw the belt I dont think...

Is the old tranny the problem? Should I have him rebuild or should I buy a whole new one and put it on myself? Any other problem Im overlooking?

Thanks for any advice...

2. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

Had that problem years ago when I ran 36 toros and sulkeys. The transmission bearing on the bottom wears out and gives that play or wabble in the pulley. I see the bearings are available in J-thomas as any other parts you might need to rebuild it. I personally would buy a new one and install it for under 200 bucks I think and then take the old one apart and see what it needs. Sometimes if ya wear that bottom bearing out too far I think the case gets ruined. Been a long time but thats the problem. Buy a new one and be done with it for a while.

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Thanks Kaye...I think that might be the way to go.