Toro 36 or 48 inch Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Darryll, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Darryll

Darryll LawnSite Member
    from MD

Looking for your advice on which Toro deck you think would provide the better cut and is more practical. I will be mowing 1 acre in the front with some hill and trees to mow around. There is also flat area to mow too. I am looking at the Toro 36 inch T-Bar control fixed deck model number 30674 for $3549 and the 36 inch T-Bar Control floating deck model number 30074 for about $4,600. I am also looking at the 48 inch fixed deck for $3,799. Toro is offering $300 off these mowers until April 30, 2013. I am also looking at the 48 inch floating deck that the dealer wants to get rid of for $4,100. The 48 inch floating deck seems very large and heavy for me but is ideal if I want to cut my 1 acre in the back yard which is a wide open field. I currently have a 44 inch ZTR which I use in the front and back yard. I will be replacing the ZTR in about 2 years. So, which deck, 36 inch or 48 inch should I purchase for the best grass cut to primarily cut the front with some hills and occasionally use to cut my back yard. I have not gates to walk thru with a mower. Some say 2 blades will give you a better cut than 3 blades and the 36 inch is better to maneuver around trees. I need to make decision by April 30, 2013. Any advice, comments, or thoughts will be greatly appreciated by you guys to help make my decision. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

My take on all I've read around LS over the last 5+ yrs is that a 48" and above is best served by a floating deck...while any ~36" deck is fine as a fixed deck. Hope this helps.