Toro 36" proline

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by GreenImage, Oct 17, 2007.

1. GreenImage

GreenImage LawnSite Member

My friend has a Toro Prolline 36" thats about 3 years old. He hardly ever uses it and it just sits at his property. I was thinking about seeing if he wants to sell it but I don't know how much these are worth.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good mower and about how much you think its worth. Or what you would pay for it. Same thing I guess.
    It has a 13 hp Kawasaki and the T-bar controls.

Is there some kind of blue book for lawn equipment?

Thanks for your help.

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

That is an excellent machine! Kawi makes a great motor. The T-bar controls are lightyears ahead of pistol grips and the things are built like tanks. I wouldn't even buy a belt drive if it wasn't a T-bar.

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Great mower...mine is 5 yrs old with alot of hours on it...I use it yr round including leaf cleanup.
    If I could only have one mower, this is the one I would have.
    As for price...I would say no more than $1500 if its in good shape.
    Check out mowpart.com...they have a used mower "green guide". Kind of like a blue book for used mowers.

4. GreenImage

I've tried it out a few times now. It will definitely be cutting my mowing time down. As of now I only have Honda 21" mowers.
    I noticed that if the grass is wet or tall that it does not work well with the catcher at all. And if the grass is wet, everytime you shut the blades off and turn them back on it leaves big clumps of grass. Any suggestions on how to get around doing this? I don't like having to go back and rake up the mess everytime I turn the blades on.
    One thing I do like about my Honda mowers - even when its raining they still bag no problem. And it rains alot in Seattle. Maybe the 36" isn't made for catching the grass.

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

It bags ok, I usually side discharge. When the grass is wet, always engage/disengage the blades on grass while moving, this dissipates the clippings. Also, if you don't have one, look into getting a sulky, then you will see how productive the machine can be.

6. GreenImage

Are you using toro blades on it when you are discharging or some kind of aftermarket blade setup?
    I want to get a sulky. Then I can mow in 5th gear. I would guess thats what your talking about.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to manuever it so i leave nice straight lines. Not tracks where I had to turn around all over the place.

Is this mower effective for you in small yards or just medium to bigger sized lawns?

7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I use Toro hi lift blades when I am side discharging. I use gators when I mulch leaves in the fall.
    On smaller lawns, I take the sulky off. Seems easier to maneuver. On the medium to larger ones I put it back on.