Toro 36"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheGrassGuy, Oct 8, 2002.

1. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

I have a chance to buy a used 36" Toro walk behind and want to get your opinion on it -
    2001 Toro
    15hp Kohler Command PRO
    4 speed with reverse
    T-bar steering
    36" Super Flow System (SFS) - can side discharge, mulch or bag
    Floating Deck
    http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/prolinegear/tbarfloat/30253.html

The guy who has it purchased it in Ontario and brought it here to go in business but that never worked out. He is not sure if it has burnt much more than a tank of gas yet. Says it is a 2001 but I can't be sure until I see it. The guy is asking $2500 Canadian for it but I think I can get it for a couple hundred less.

I did purchase a Toro Wheel Horse tractor with a 20hp Onan, hydrostatic and a 60" deck at an auction. It works well but does scalp some and requires a trailer which is a pain. I have been asked if I would sell it and have been thinking about selling it and getting the 36". This 36" should fit in the truck easily and I will not have to worry about a trailer.

I also have a 21" Toro for smaller yards.

Any thoughts on this upgrade?

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

So we meet again...LOL.
    Does it have any warranty left on it? The floating deck is nice for quick and easy height adjustments. For anything half acre or less you'll be considerably more effecient than with the Wheel Horse due to it size and maneuverability, depending on the obstacles there of course. If it really hasn't burned more than a tank or two of gas and it still has some warranty on it, the price is probably OK but the lower you get it for the better. Can't remember the difference between US and CAN dollars but a new machine just like that is probably about $2500 new here I think, I priced them just a couple days ago but don't have the figures handy. With the mulch kit and bagger it's probably fine. Mulching is nice to keep the mess down and between beds. You can get the model and serial numbers off of it and call a dealer and ask them to look it up and they should be able to tell you the year of it. With a 36" you can most likely get rid of the 21" and the 60" Wheel Horse. If it has sat along time or the gas is old, your better to drain the tank and put new fuel in it.
    From what you told me about what you got the WH for, you should be able get alot of profit out of it. Can't remember how many hours you said it had but you should get at least $3000 US out of it. On second thought, if it's less than 1,000 hrs, make that $4,000 US. Which means you should be able to get the walk behind and come out ahead!!! Consider a sulky for the Toro, TrimmerTrap brand's Bull Rider sulky looks nice as you can select trailering or castering mode fairly quick and easy, looks built tough too.
    Good luck,
    Eric

3. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Toro makes good mowers however, 2001 model year with vertical height adjustment was their biggest step backwards in the commercial world. These mowers are unbalanced and dont operate as well as the older ones. My dealer said they tried to copy scag and exmark with the pins making it cheaper but they really 30shot themselves in the foot. He wont order any of these only the older styles.
    This mower is $3000 new to let you know. I dont think i would go from a 60 rider to a 36 wb your killing the productivity there.

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Dlandscaping,
    I think the prices here are alittle lower than your $3k. His rider is a 1994 Wheel Horse garden tractor, I have one just like it only a year older and 48" deck instead of 60". It's a super machine, cuts and stripes well and built commercial quality but not meant to be effecient at cutting, it's meant to do dozens of chores not just mow. It doesn't have a tight turning radius and can't mow above 5mph usually due to blade speed. If he's mowing half acre or less lots he will not lose much if any productivity. 60" is alot on a half acre, and not overkill as long as its wide open but anything other than flat wide open it is a nuisance on.
    Eric

5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

If you are paying under $2700-3200 you are getting distibutor pricing. My dealer sells close to 200 toro wbs a spring and he cant go lower than $3k bag included.
    On a fixed deck gear drive i paid 2250 with a 12.5 kawi and that was 300 off list.

And obviously a 60 inch tractor is useless on a tightly landscaped 5k lawn common knowledge

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

A 60" GT is useless on a tightly landscaped 20,000 sq. ft. lawn too :dizzy:
    A 48" is about right for a 20k lawn if it's a GT.
    I dont' have my prices handy but I was thinking it might be about $2700 or so for that mower here, maybe it was more, I can't remember. This dealer is alot higher than the eXmark dealer here though, a 48" Metro HP (floating deck gear drive, ECS, 15hp Kohler) was only $2,600!!!! Meanwhile, a 32" eXmark Metro fixed deck, 12.5hp Kohler pistol grip gear drive was $2300 :dizzy: And a 36" floating deck gear drive Metro HP with ECS and 15hp Kohler was only about $2400/2500 or so. Not bad I must say! The Toro's were much higher once you got above the 32"/36" mark. I dont' really see why, although the Toro dealer is an exceptional one service wise.
    Good luck,
    Eric

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at a 2001 Toro Hydro 36". It didn't have a SFS deck and I'm pretty sure that there isn't any deck differences between the belts and hydros, as far as floating decks go. With all that said, all you can do is discharge and bag, which is why I didn't buy this particular machine because all I do is mulch. That's what the dealer told me and if I remember correctly there is some other 37" mulching deck or something on that particular model year. I think Dlandscaping said something about this machine and it's mulching capabilities in the past as well....

8. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

This sounds like the Toro I traded-in for my Walker except mine was a 2000 model I believe. Might it be the same machine? I found the Toro good in long grass. If there are low hours on the machine it sounds like a good price. I don't think mine made the ability to mulch thou.

Ray

9. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

i was just picking up a new blower and i looked at the prolines wb. they want like 300 or more dollars for a bag for that mower A! i like there mowers a lot. walkbehind compared to the wheel horse: the 36 and 60 would cut about the same time if you were doing a standered yard 36 might even do it quicker, but if you were doing a field or something im sure the old wheel-E would win! but you would like the WB for the convenece of not having to use a trailer.

10. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

My biggest property is right around 20 000 sq.ft., so it is less than half acre. It also has quite a few trees as well as beds and is divided into about 5 main areas which means jumping curbs. This mower new is about $4500 - $5000 here. I hope to see the dealer today and get a better idea of prices to buy the 36" and a value on my Wheel Horse. I also have to check on the mulching ability as the web site says there is a mulch kit available.