Toro 37" Recycler deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daryl, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Daryl

Daryl LawnSite Member

I bought a 37" recycler deck for my Hydo walk behind and have had nothing but problems. I'm wondering if anyone else out there is having these same problems? The deck is leaving a strip between the two blades and the overall grass is left in terrible condition with straggly grass popping up after cutting. It is so bad that I have had to park the machine in the shed. We have tried everything imagineable, from tilting the deck, double blades, slower speeds etc etc etc. After complaints Toro advised me that there was a fix for this problem. The dealer installed it and no change. I had the dealer come out and they agree with me the cut is horrible. They called Toro with the problems and are still waiting for them to get back to them. I think the only solution will be to switch to a 36" superflow deck. Has anyone else used these and how have you found them.

Please let me know if you have heard of this problem or know of others who have had this problem.

Daryl

2. J. Davis

J. Davis LawnSite Member

I use the 44 inch SFS and love the cut...I have the 15 Kaw. with the Gear system and it cuts all types of grass.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Replace the blades, sometimes a rounded edge will cause this

4. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

I have the same deck too on one of my walk behinds...
    I took off the discharge shute and cut it down 6" and reinsatalled it and that made a big difference in the way the grass comes out of the shute( it doesn't clump as much)

What did they fix on it?

I took it off and put on a used 44" that I bought for $200...
    covers more ground and does a nicer job cutting to boot.

Dan G

5. Daryl

Daryl LawnSite Member

Hi Guys:

I've already tried new blades no difference. As far as the repair I belive they replaced the kickers in the deck as well as they had to do some cutting on the deck but not sure exactly what. I wasn't there when the dealer installed the fix that didn't work.

Daryl

6. crs

crs LawnSite Member

I have had one of these machines for about 10 years. The only way I have been able to get an acceptable quality of cut is by taking out all of the kickers and using the side chute. Make sure your engine speed is where it is supposed to be. One other thing to try is a 21" std or high lift blade in the big chamber. The one I found that fit was from a Scag 62" mower. If you go that route you will have to use the side chute.

I also have a 36" supperflow deck. It is a much more productive machine. It gives a clean cut even in wet grass.

Good luck

7. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I had the same problem with my 37 ,but only when I used gator blades. I never understood why. Other than that, I always liked the mower.

8. Daryl

Daryl LawnSite Member

Hi Guys

Finally got in contact with Toro today. They were really good and they are buying back the deck and I will be purchasing the 36" deck. Hopefully that will work a lot better for us. Also found out that next spring will probably bring a mulching insert for the 36" deck.

Anyways thought 'd share this news with you.

Daryl