Toro 37" Recycler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CS Lawns, Feb 19, 2002.

1. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

A Toro 37" walk behind Recycler was offered to me today looked thru the search already did not really find what I was looking for. The unit is approx. 10 years old looks ok. It has a side discharge & 12.5 HP Kawasaki. Question: does this unit throw the grass well enough with the side discharge or leave clumps or strips of grass. I have 52 accounts most are residential and this would fit in most gates I usually mulch will this unit leave the same look? Dont forget what you were always told (there is never a dumb question) Thanks :D

2. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I am familiar with the 37"/14 or 15hp Kohler.

The 14hp, was enough for average jobs, but suffered on hills. The mulching capabilities were great. I always mulched with it. It didn't leave clumps. I am unsure about the 12.5, though Toro is still using that engine on their new 36" SFS decks - so it can't be bad.

I am buying a new 37"/15hp before April to use on a crew that does almost all residential. For the commercial side, we use eXmark ztr.

How much is this 10 yr old unit?

3. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Asking $1,300.00 for it.

4. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

I've used a Toro 37" Recycler w/12.5 Kawasaki since 1992.I've used the stock blades to mulch and found it to do a good job on grass and leaves.I have a set of Gator blades that I tried and they didn't discharge grass that well.They also left a streak when turning.The stock type blades from Lesco were far cheaper than the dealer.By the way this machine is belt drive and I use a single wheel Velke on this mower.:)

5. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Just bought it today! Have you ever tried double blades with this machine? I have been told it will chop the grass finer and not leave a row of clumps and will eliminate the need for double mowing?? Gettin close to being in use cant wait! What did the Velke run you?

6. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

I haven't tried double blades on this mower.I pretty much use the factory type blades.I mulch 99% of the time.As far as the Velke,I bought it in 1992 so the price today would be much higher than the $175 I paid then.The only thing that i can't over emphasize is to keep the grass build up from under the deck.I plan to get some Mow-eze and give it a try this season.I also have the factory cloth bagger for this mower,it does a good job with dry grass and leaves.Hope this helps.Richard

7. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Thanks for the advice! As everything else I have found here it has been very useful