Toro 44'....15hp....Value of?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by o-so-n-so, Aug 16, 2006.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Whats a 3 year old (unknown hours) toro 44" 15 hp walkbehind worth?
    Owner wants 25 hunerd. Thought it was a little high. What would be a good offer if machine is in top notch shape?
  2. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

3. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

IMO $0.00!!!!
    Bought a new 44" 15hp 5 years ago sold after 2.5 years. Never had too much prob w/ my 52" almost twice the # of hours but blades kept locking up the 44. at the tune of 200+to fix ea. time. Toro Ha never again. Sorry but I heard the same problem from 3 other LCO that had the same machine, along with others and the 44 was the only one that kept giving them fits.
  4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

thanks for the info.............................
  5. louviljlj

louviljlj LawnSite Member

I bought my Toro 48" gear drive walkbehind 15hp new online for 2,200.00 so buying a used one for that much "nope". Toro Spindles are crap so I suggest buying something else.
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think the 17hp version goes for about $3500 now. The 15hp single cylinder is not very useful in tall or thick grass. I have had 3 of them over the years but the 16hp twin briggs on another unit I have now has noticeably more power in heavy stuff. But it's 8 years old and not offered.

3 years old could mean 300 hours (if used for gates and hills only) or 1800. Condition matters a lot. Top notch shape is more than just cosmetics. I'd be sure to test it in some real grass to check for cut problems from a bent deck and see if it bogs in tall grass. I used these 15hp class units a lot before ZTRs and more power came along. But it's a step down from the more powerful units.

3 years is when the little things start giving you problems too. Tire tubes wear and leak, belts are probably worn, etc. So factor in what your time is worth.

I wouldn't pay over $2,000 for that unit. I paid $500 (plus $300 in repairs needed) for a 16hp briggs twin 44" toro that gave me about 3 years of part time service but is currently giving me some engine problems. I prefer to stretch for new units unless I know the machine is not going to be used full time, which mine isn't now.
  7. mountainmowinman

mountainmowinman LawnSite Member

I have a toro 44 hydro with a 15 kohler, probably a 2000 model and has 419 hours. The mower luckily has not given me any trouble.Stripes pretty good too.
  8. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

just bought an identical toro with 300 hours 5 years old though for $1800
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think we're beginning to see the start of higher prices due to an expected high demand for this type of stuff, thou I could be wrong...

IMO 2500 is for a 1-2 year old, most of the time the machine still shines and has less than 2 full season's use on it, thou you might can get 2.4k for a full 2 year old, being it's a Toro. I'm thinking 1500-1750 for a 3 y.o. myself, maybe 2k if the machine's in really great condition, for 2.5k it would have to have very little use on it.

As for the spindles, best I can tell you is don't run it in dirt yards, the grit from dust is what eats the bearings alive. I must've replaced these things once / year before I learned, now they seem to last forever (haven't replaced a set in just over 3 years). That, and grease them every day if they're the unsealed kind. Oh and if they're sealed, the dust still gets in them.
  10. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

When you talk about spindles are you talking about the part that holds the blades. What type of grease do you use?