1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro 44 deck dilema

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN GALLO, Sep 29, 2003.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Recently I developed a phenomenon with one of my Toro 44" sfs decks. The grass gets lifted and cut fine with no straglers, but I am getting a strip of clippings dropping out on the lawn between the 2nd and 3rd chambers. The deck is clean underneath, and I tried changing blades but it still does it. There is nothing apparently bent or warped that I can tell. I have 2 other decks set up identical and no problems. Anybody else ever get this, and figured out what caused it or how to fix it? :confused:
  2. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

the only time I have had that happen is when the deck wasn't clean

WESLEY BROWN LawnSite Member

Hey I don't know a whole lot ,but did you buy this deck new or used? Did it work and then start doing it? Did you put factory blades back on? I do not want to bother you with questions, but it could be anything. Are your blades overlaping fine and is the baffles bent or wore out? Anything you can give would help. I do not own a toro so I dont know. :confused:
  4. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 44 sfs on my Z and the only time i get that result is if I am moving too fast and cutting alot off.

It only happens with the bagger or dischrge guard in place.

wide open does it for me:D

5. PeterA

PeterA Sponsor

You might want to try using a high lift on the right chamber only (next to the discharge). You want to have a pressure gradient across the deck where the air is moving progressively faster from chamber to chamber. If it slows from one chamber to the next, you can get drop out of the clippings. Using a high lift only on the right side will help. Also, you might check the belt tension on the blade spindle. If one blade is slightly slower than the one to it's left, it will create a lower pressure gradient and cause a dead spot where clippings could drop out of the airstream.
    Accelerator Industries
  6. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Try as you might, you are running a stamped deck mate.

The SFS clump magnit deck is very shalow........In turn this will give you less flow/clipping volume in the deck resulting in clumping and in turn giving you the "a strip of clippings dropping out on the lawn between the 2nd and 3rd chambers" .....I think.

Is this just been happening recently.......or for a while ????

How long have ya owned the machine for???

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

The problem just started on this particular mower. I have 2 other identical decks on other machines that are fine. I agree that the back portion of the sfs deck is a bit shallow, but the front tunnel is quite deep and wide where it's actually supposed to discharge the clippings. Never had any trouble till now, and I cut a lot of high 2 week accounts. I'm going to try some high lifters. Thanks all!