1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro 44" pistal grip hydro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twotoros, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to look at the Toro 44" pistal grip hydro next week. Any comments? The reason for this size is space on my flatbed toyota.48" is a bit wide and I had a 36" once and would rather have the wider cut.Pistal grip appeals to me for loading and unload purposes for better control on a steeper ramp. I assume this has two blades.And I think the recycle, bag or discharge floating deck. If I order one I was thinking the 17hp twin kohler.

Anyone try this machine or another 44" cut? Comments?
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Heh, do Groundsmasters count? I've got a 44" on it. Works great. Does a really good job with the collection system, although I haven't tried mulching yet for 2 reasons; 1)I don't have the plate for it 2)I don't really have a need for it. My deck has 3 blades for it. The guy I bought it from gave me 3 blades brand new and I read on the parts list that they are 15.5 inches? I think that's about right since the deck is in a "V" position. It's only 44" wide, but the back two blades on each side are actually overlapping what the front blades didn't get, but not actually overlapping. Hard to explain. Maybe I'll take a pic of it or somebody here has more of a clue than I do. LOL. My 18 HP Kohler Magnum seems to handle the deck just fine. Although, there is the occasional person out there running a 52" on a 14 HP, go figure, 17 HP is enough! Good luck and happy shopping!
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

44" Toros are 3 blades.

44 Toro's just don't cut as nice as the 52's. I don't think the blades turn fast enough. Maybe that's changed for this year, I know they've been tinkering...
  4. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Specs claim a blade tip speed of 18,000. Would that provide a good cut?
  5. crs

crs LawnSite Member

If you have not tried a T bar I would try loading and unloading both before you put your money down. I used a 36" belt drive for several years loaded in the back of an s-10 pick-up (Scrub days revisited) and I thought it was much easier to handle than the pistol grip. However, being a hydro may make a difference.

Good luck on the new equipment!!
  6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 44 Toro w a 14 vanguard Iliked the T bar for loading on a
    Nissan long bed. Also put a T bar on my 52 Lesco. Ibuilt a platform
    in the bed The 52 fit. Some times didn't need the trailer.
    To stop a T bar let go. Pistol grips you have to squeeze 2 handle at the ssame time. Also your hands don't hit objects with T bar.
  7. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Toro 52 and a 44 both hydros with T bars. One of the main reasons I buy Toro is the T Bar. I wouldnt worry about loading and unloading on steep ramps. Its easy to control after using it for a day or so. The 52 has a 25 hp kohler and does seem to cut a little better than the 44. The 44 Has a 16hp vanguard. I dont think it needs too Mutch more power than that. Even with a turf rider. Hi lift Blades are a must for the 44. I use exmarx lazer 44 Blades and they realy work good.