Toro 44 wb hydro floating deck, good price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRAD2723, Apr 17, 2004.

1. BRAD2723

BRAD2723 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

In the market for a wb mower found a toro proline 44 wb hydro and floating deck, last years model. Dealer gave me a price of 3900, is this a good price/machine?

2. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Sounds like a decent price. I was quoted 3900 for 17 hp 52" gear drive. I have a 44" gear drive Toro and love it.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Brad, if this unit has the straight frame forks leading out to the caster wheels (not curved at the end) and vertical height adjust pins then this is the design I had. I would advise rethinking the purchase since there are better mowers out there that don't cost a lot more.

1. The design was inherently front-heavy, rear wheels spun easily. Would get stuck in muddy conditions very easily.

2. If it's a T bar I believe it only comes with a 15hp kohler, and I found it bogged bad in heavy stuff. Adequate, but that's all.

3. If it is the T bar, I think it's ok, but not nearly as fine a touch as other steering systems, including belt drive T bars.

If it's a pistol grip unit with more power, or a "classic deck" 44" then the above doesn't apply.

The price was average, nothing special.

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We had that mower (2003 with only 40 hours) and it got stolen a few weeks ago. We hated to see it get ripped off even though we all disliked it , that is why it only had 40 hours on it. Even though the mower it was supposed to replace has 1500 hours on it we still prefer it. The classic style with removable pins for the height adjust has a lot better visibility and isn't as front heavy. Not to mention, the 2003 wasn't available with electric start, a huge pain in the butt- we had to consciously park it where we could get to the pull rope. I would call Russo Power Equipment in Chicago and get a price, they are really competitive and excellent to work with.

5. BRAD2723

BRAD2723 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks everyone, still need more help or opinions by tommorrow please.

6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Toro changed the 44 and 52 wbs for 2004. They are like the

Classic. Tor changed the balance point and offset the deck.

Check the Classic or the 2004. I have a 96 classic w 18 Koh.

paid 1500 used. Ed

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Toro's website is still practically useless. You can never tell if what's there is actually what's for sale. They only show T bar available with the 44"/15hp classic combination, and pistol grips with the vertical pin type decks. Makes no sense at all.