Toro 44" ZTR opinions.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Jul 10, 2004.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I am looking at getting a new Toro 44" Z100 series ztr because it will go through most of our gated lawns. It has the SRS deck (what ever that is) and not the turbo force deck. Has a great warranty but the dealer doesnt have one for me to demo. They did however have about 15 52"-72" Toros lined up around the front. Should I just ask for a demo of the 52"? What are your thoughts and oppinions on this mower? By the way they want $4,495 for it which isnt to bad i dont think.

2. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

That price is awesome. I have one and really like it. If you demo the 52 it will be very similiar to the 44. The 52 has a larger engine I believe but you'll get a feel to how the deck cuts. You can't go wrong with the price. I paid $5200 and that was a deal of a lifetime at the time.

3. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

One other thought, I got the 17 kawi because it was the cheapest. Check the price for the 44 with a 20 hp kohler. I wish I had more power sometimes. The 17 works well though. Just a thought.

4. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

I got one, good cut, and is great in tight spaces. That price is by far the best I have ever seen.

5. ProStreetCamaro

So it cuts good and is a good price? I was just wondering if the turbo force deck cuts better than the srs deck.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Absolutely the TF Deck is far superior to the SFS deck and the adjustable Baffle in the TF is a great feature and the sindles are large in the TF

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Also when I bought our 60" Toro, maybe the dealer was just trying to push me up the cost ladder, but he said (and don't blast me for this as I have no idea really because I don't own it) that the Z100 was really a homerowners model more or less and not really built for full daily Commerical Use.

8. ProStreetCamaro

I feel that the Z100 is right along the lines of the lzer z hp. They are pretty much the same and we have used the dog poop out of our 48"hp. Now has 1,650 hours on it and still going strong. We want a 44" that built solid because it will go through most gates. Did you actually see in person one of these Z100's? How did it look?

9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

What engine is on the Z100 ?

If it is the 18 Kohler, be aware that it is a single cylinder engine...not that that is bad.

I was priced a Z100, 44" with the 18 Kohler at $4995 and I thought that was a good price- you better jump if the size fits your needs!

The SFS deck is designed to discharge, but will mulch maintained lawns fine. While the new Turbo Force deck is awesome, on this size mower, and at your price, you'll be ecstatic!

Don't worry, the Z100 series is definitely a commercial mower. The Toro homeowner series is the Timecutter, and a brief look will convince you that the Z100 frame is NOT a homeowner model but commercial duty all the way.

10. ProStreetCamaro

I had the option of the 17hp kawi and the 18 kohler. I was just taking for granted that the 18 kohler command was the same twin cylinder 18hp kohler that is on our lazer z hp. We love that motor! So its a single cylinder? hmmmm maybe the 17 kawi would be better. They were both the same price.