Toro 44" ZTR Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jnjnlc, Apr 20, 2001.

1. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Is anybody out there running a Toro 44" compact ZTR?

If so I have some questions

1. What kind of blades do you run?

2. Have you had problems with sliding the tires even on level ground?

3. How do you handle slopes?

Any other advice you can give would be great.

Thanks

2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

jnjnic i don't have a 44" but do run a 62" Z-Master.Question 1 i run double blades on mine,so can you i use the gators on top and regular high lifts on bottom.Question 2 Personally ive never heard on tires sliding on level turf,so i really don't understand the question. Number 3 When your mowing slopes on a Zrider note if the turf has any dew or dampnest,always go up the slope and back down,if its like a 15degree slope take your time and run at a side angle if its dry,just be careful and use your common senese, youll soon get the feel of what you can and cannot due with these machines. Practice ect,ect ..... Marks Mowing Service

3. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

I have 1, use OEM blades, they do not handle slopes well at all. I have not had problems with sliding on even ground.

4. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

I've got 2 toro Z masters
    1) 52" small Z (same as a exmark hp)
    2) 72" big Z
    I use atomic mulching blades on the smaller one with a mulch kit installed and it eats leaves/grass no problem
    It holds hills OK but not nearly as well as the larger one does
    (but if either one it gets away from you on a hill hang on...... you're going for a ride to the bottom)

The larger one is a whole lot better on the hills in every way compared to the smaller one.

The only time I've every had problems with it sliding was if I left the weights on it for the bagger with it off(the bagger)

Dan

D. Gowie Enterprises Inc.

5. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have that model

I go either side to side on hills or up and down

I use gator blades

My back tires to tend to slide quite a bit

6. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i use the 44",i use the gator blades all year.yes,the tires will scalp if you don't turn carefully.i either will go up and down the slope,but you might be able to handle it carefully if you ride the one lever a little more than the other-takes alot of practice and finesse.i personally think Toro should go to a single joystick,but i don't think that'll happen anytime soon.

7. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 44" too. OEM blades definitely cut better than those atomic blades.

My question - I use this mower and would like that toro steel grass catcher, when will dealers get this grass catcher?

8. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know what the toro one looks like, but maybe you should look into a grass gobbler. I dont know what the size of the toro one is, if its like a Peco or something like that, then nevermind, otherwise, a gobbler is nice.

9. lawnnut

lawnnut LawnSite Member

What is your tire pressure set at.
    It sounds like maybe you have them toooo hard let some aire out and cushion it.

10. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I have tried several tire pressures. I now have it at about 22lbs. I also have the tires partially filled with water. That seems to help some.

Thanks to all for the comments. I have found that the OEM blades seem to work better. The cut is the same as gators but when the gators discharge it seems to clump worse than the OEM Blades. Anyway I am switching back to the OEM blades today. Hopefully it will dry up enough I can mow this afternoon. Got good rain down here in Carolina.

Thanks.