toro 48 wb with kohler{ hard starting ]

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by michmann, May 8, 2008.

1. michmann

michmann LawnSite Member

I HAVE A TORO WITH A 15 HP KOHLER MOTOR I BOUGHT IT USED 2 YEARS AGO AND IT IS A BEAR TO START THE GUY I BOUGHT IT FROM SAID TO USE STARTING FLUID TO GET IT GOING THEN ONCE IS WARM IT STARTS FINE , I HAD IT TUNED UP LAST YEAR BUT STILL THE SAME PROBLEM I ALSO HAVE A GRAVERLY WITH A KAWASAKI AND ITS STARTS UP 2ND PULL EVERY TIME IS THE KOHLER JUST A DOG ANY HELPFULL HINTS IM JUST A SMALL POTATOES PART TIME CUTTER BUT THIS TORO { 2005 } IS A PAIN IN MY ARM:weightlifter:

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Be 100% Sure the CHOKE closes compleatly when on.

Common issue.

Pete

3. michmann

michmann LawnSite Member

i always put it on choke i think to try and get it started the lever all the up so i dont need to put it all the up to get it started sorry if i dont understand ?:hammerhead:

4. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Cable often gets out of adjustment and the "Butterfly" does not close fully....This will cause hard starting.

Take off air filter and see that it closes 100%. If not , adjust so it does when choke on.

Hope that explains it,

Pete

5. michmann

michmann LawnSite Member

i will check it out thanks for your help i hope you dont mind me bugging you if i have more questions*trucewhiteflag*

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure they aren't leaking fuel past carb ...that will kill you on start. To test this put a fuel line cut off and always turn off fuel when you shut it down. I had to eventually put on two new carb(rebuild carb didn't work) and now my units start good. I also ground the valves and put in new lifters