Toro 52" SFS deck...Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AltaLawnCare, May 2, 2002.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running a 52" gear drive.

I'm using atomic mulchers now, and they do ok - but I need more lift.

Does anyone know if the Exmark Excaliber blades will fit?

Has anyone used the Toro high lifts??
    :confused:

Thanks.

2. linky

linky LawnSite Member

The best cutting blades that i have used on my 44 sfs are the factory blades. Gator blades did a poor job- no lift. I have not been able to find high lifts for the 44 but the standard blades work well. I was going to try the excaliber blades also. My dealer said they should work.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Alta,

As long as the TORO 52" uses 18" long blades with a 5/8" center hole (= Exmark 52"), you should be OK. My sources indicate that it may be a 1/2" hole on yours, but I don't know TORO's all that well.

4. MHubes

MHubes LawnSite Member

I run a Toro with a 52" SFS deck, and I find that high lift blades from J-Thomas work very well, at $6.50 each, you can't beat them, and if sharpened often they even mulch well due to the entire length of the blade being sharpened--about 7 inches on each side.

5. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a gear driven Exmark 36". Right now I have Toro highlifts on the Exmark.

6. AltaLawnCare

Thanks everybody.

MHubes, I ordered the J-thomas catalogue.

I think the excaliber blades will be the trick for dandelions. ;)

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Alta,

Just make sure that the bolt hole sizes are the same! No sense in buying a set of Exmark Excalibur blades that you can't use! Some of my sources indicate that you may have 1/2" center hole on the TORO, while just about all Exmark blades have a 5/8" hole!

J-Thomas (or any other mail order catalog) does NOT sell Excalibur blades! These are Exmark dealer ONLY parts....for now!

8. AltaLawnCare

Thats true, they won't fit. All the Excalibers have a 5/8 hole..

But the Exmark dealer had a good idea,..
    He said he could sell me an Exmark, then I could run the Excaliber blades.:D

9. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

Hey Billy,

The Exmark is great. If you bought one you would not be disappointed. It will turn on a dime, and stays on hillsides very good. Cut is excellent even at almost 7 mph. Very satisfied. Good to have the enclosed trailer to duck into during the bad storm on Thursday also.

10. AltaLawnCare

I bet!
    I mowed one of my churches in it (on and off from 6-8). The toro never clumped, but finally the belts started slipping soo bad I had to stop.

I picked up some high lift blades today, I'll see how they cut. I.ve been stuck in the shop this after noon, waiting for it to stop raining,.....
    I serviced the Toro, and had to replace one of the tail lights on the trailer where I backed into something this morning.

Those Exmarks do look very well built, and designed, glad to hear you still like the way yours' are doing.

I looked at the hydro 60" walk behind, but for the price difference, might as well go with the Lazer Z.

BTW, did the adjuster catch up with you Thursday? He came here and told him to look for a big white Ford and a giant long white trailer..LOL He said oh-yea, I think I saw him coming into town.