Toro 557 vs Exmark Laser

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimiMc, Feb 26, 2005.

1. JimiMc

JimiMc LawnSite Member

I'm looking at purchasing a new mower in a week or two. I own a Laser and it is sweet. The problem I'm having is I can get a 2004 Toro557 about $800 cheaper then a 2005 Laser Z. I know the turbo force deck and the Ultra cut are pretty close. What I want to know is about the rest of the machine. The frame, hydro pumps etc. I know the gas tanks are a little larger and top end speed is a little more on the exmark. Does this mean it's closer to the Exmark As. Dealer support isn't a problem except I can't get a straight answer from either of them about the true differences. Any real knowledge, not opinions, about the diffrences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

As far as I can tell, the only difference is tank color and the decks.
  3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Check the frame. Last year I looked at both at Lawn show.

The Toro is different. Also has The mower stand. Got to look

close. I vote for the Toro. Ed
  4. scarr133

scarr133 LawnSite Senior Member

I own a Lazer, and I've used the Toro's before as well. My walk-behind is a Toro. The one thing I like most about the Toro is the Z Stand. It is great to have a jack attached to the mowing incase you run over a large stick or branch and get it caught in the mower deck. Much quicker to get back out mowing again instead of having to drive to where ever to jack it up and get it out. My opinion, whichever has the better deal, go with it. You can't lose with either one!
  5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

My only comment is to make sure the Toro is not the SFS deck. I never had one, but plenty here have, and the reviews have not been good.