Toro 570PRX Flush Cap

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Aug 1, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

My last two cases of Toro 570PRX sprinklers have had weak flush caps that have the threads break off when you pull on them. Comes to about 15% of the sprinklers in each case. Not a major problem... just a minor hassle having to replace bad ones with some good ones I've saved. :dizzy:

Toro 570PRX Flush Cap IV-02.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm partial to the rainbird 1800 flush caps. Never had one of them break on me.

But then again, to me, Toro is a 4 letter word.

3. PurpHaze

These are actually the same flush caps (minus the Xed extension piece that seats up into them) that XXXX [:)] uses for their other spray pop-ups. However, the springs on the PRXs are stronger so I guess maybe that's why they might be failing.

4. PurpHaze

It's semi-official... During the recent 107 sprinkler repair of the vandalized site we encountered numerous Toro 570 PRX-COM heads where the flush caps snapped off when we were installing them. We took a box of them back to Ewing for credit of over $200 instead of just fixing the problem as we've done in the past.

We've ordered two cases of the 4" Hunter Institutional Sprays and one case of 6"ers along with Hunter Adjustable Arc Nozzles for them. We've had great success with the Hunter Pro-Sprays in the past on selected planter projects so we're going to try the top-of-the-line spray heads out now. Bad thing is that we will need to change out the entire sprinkler when we encounter a 570that's munched up but since we use remotes we'll be able to make the quick change and then flush them out. We'll still have to carry the TVAN nozzles for strictly 570 nozzle replacements and we'll also have to stock the MP-Rotators for the Hunter configuration instead of the Toro sprinklers.

5. Wow..welcome to the 21st Century

You are going to hate the Hunter Flush Caps......the little ring always breaks when you pull on it.....

6. PurpHaze

We've yet to have one of the Hunter rings come off on us but I'll take an external ring coming off versus the internal breakage of the Toro flush cap any day. When the Toro flush cap snaps off it allows debris and water to go back into the sprinkler pop-up riser and a nozzle can't be installed until the remaining part of the flush cap threads is removed, a new flush cap inserted and then the sprinkler flushed out again. Even if the ring comes off we can pop up the Hunter sprays with our remotes, clip them with the Rainbird pull-up tool and then install the nozzle. I guess time will tell but if we start having undue problems at least Hunter will listen to us instead of Toro's "you're doing it wrong" attitude or no response at all. I've biatched to Toro at least a half dozen times on this issue without satisfaction.

7. Toro wants to build mowers.....

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The ring for the RB 1800 breaks off as well. Not very often, but it happens.

9. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

Hunter has the best ones in my opinion. Rainbirds break way to often.

10. Dennis Spencer

Dennis Spencer LawnSite Member

Best use for caps

Mix07 231 (4).jpg