Toro 580-d Stopped going forward

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Polo field slave, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Polo field slave

Polo field slave LawnSite Member
    from HI

Hello Everyone,

Our big toro stopped in the middle of the Polo field saturday.
    All the hydralics work, power steering, lift arm and cutting but when you press on the pedal you get a whinning / spinning noise.

Now it is pouring rain so I can't go get under it. The book seems to indicate driveshaft issues.

Any firsthand experiance to share?

Thanks, Bob

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check your hydro oil level, Dump valve for being closed and the drive wheel hub keys, One could have sheared.

3. Polo field slave

from HI

Hey, Thanks for the quik reply! The hydro level is correct and I don't know where drive wheel hub keys are. Is there one for each wheel motor? Unfortunaletly, here on Maui there is no service tech to call, other than me(bicycle Mechanic) with my toro pdf file manual. Isn't the dump valve the thing you turn for towing? This happened while mowing.

Bob

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the larger Toro's. The last one I worked on had a hydro trans-axle which if one of the axle hub keys sheared it would stop moving. The dump valve could have vibrated out if not tightened the last time it was dumped to roll around. And I suppose you checked the drive belt for slippage ?
    Can you post the model and serial numbers so I can take a look at this unit ?

5. Polo field slave

from HI

I have the serial number at home. I don't think there is a drive belt, but a drive shaft. I will check that valve as soon as the rain stops.

Bob

6. Polo field slave

from HI

Update! Pulled right wheel planetary gear assembley off and the brake discs are disintegrated and the tube that fits over the output shaft of the wheel motor is cooked. Going to call TPEC at sunrise unless some one has a better parts supplier for the 580's

-I am just a bicycle mechanic, but remember, who invented the airplane!