Toro 580 woes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Polo field slave, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Polo field slave

Polo field slave LawnSite Member
    from HI

Aloha everyone, Just signed up to the site although I have read it for a while. I am the volunteer turf manager for the Maui Polo Club. We have a 9 acre field that is mostly Kikua with some nice big areas of bermuda. We just bought a used 580 so we can mow it year round. In the past it went long for 7 months and we would pay someone to cut it short then HAND RAKE the sucker so we could use our pre-historic parkmaster ( now dead) I scored a nice rotary toro 5300 from a country club but it is just too vast to do regularly with that. So, we shipped to 580 from Texas with 2600 hours on it.

All is well except for the right hand deck motor leaks.
    i downloaded the parts manual and service manual from toro and the local dealer HOSED me for $60 for what turned out to a simple lip seal and O-ring. I pulled the motor, changed the ring and seal, put it back in, and it still leaks.
    Any suggestions on getting another "ultra" motor or how to fix it? Many thanks.

2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Your best and really on option is a new motor. With that many hours it is not surprising that the seal kit did not work. Seal kits work usually less then 50% of the time unless the motor is fairly new. We have a few of these machines also, if you need any help other help post another message or send me an email.
    Also if you have filter numbers I can provide you with Napa filter numbers that replace the OEM ones. Quite a bit of savings compared to buying from a Toro dealer. In the hydraulic system we use ISO 68 (Turbine) oil, it meets all the OEM specs for hydraulic oil. The only draw back for you would be it is probably only available in 55 gallon drums.
    Hope this helps.

3. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

You picked the best brand of mower for your application. There is one problem with Toro professional grounds equipment, similar to any other industry leader such as Caterpillar tractor. They love their parts when the time coes that you have to buy them. And, since they love their parts, you will be opening up your proverbial wallet every time you need them. The 580 is the most dependable mower in it's class, but typically wing mowers, or BAM mowers are a high maintenance item in comparison to a single deck machine.

Even if you have a dealer on the island, you still have to get parts shipped in, so, you still pay.

As far as the motor goes, had I only known, this will kill you, I gave 2 deck motors away after realizing we would never use them to a friend.

There are companies available that rebuild hydo pumps and motors, and if my memory serves me right, a deck motor for that machine sits at around $1,000.00 from Toro. The only other obvious thing is to yank the pump apart and see if there is something obvious, or perhaps a hairline crack you are missing. O-rings can be tricky and if you don'y have them laying completely flat or if they get stretched, they can snap upon installtion and not seat right.

4. Polo field slave

from HI

Thanks guys,
    I am learning about those motors. Does that butterfly shaped O ring hold in the pressure? If I don't have it in flat that could be my cause?
    One other thing, one of the 4 bolts that hold the halfs of the motor together is broken off, years ago. I could take it to an auto machine shop and have then get the stud out. It not leaking on the seam though. It is leaking out the shaft and does not spin as fast as the left deck when all three are engaged. Can you ask your friend if he ever used those motors?

Thanks for the advice on the filters, I want to change the oil & filter today. The number off the engine oil filter is #p555680 and it says Donaldson on it. The sticker in the cab says to use toro 49-2500.

Bob

5. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

If it says Donaldson, it sounds like you have the air filter mioxed up with the oil filter. Let me ask, did the filter where you pulled the number have a large black hose attached to the top of the engine? Or was it screwed directly to the side of the engine block? How long and big around is this filter? The air filter will be about 9"x14" long, the oil filter will be about 4" by 5"....

6. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Toro 49-2500 crosses to Napa 1768 used on various engines.
    Donaldson P555680 crosses to Napa 1261 used on Cat 3208 engines.

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I feel your pain. my exmark dealer is the exact same one. they will RIP your on everything, but you really can't go anywhere else if you want parts.

they almost cost me $2,000 for an engine, that I didn't need. one of their standerd answers is "it needs a new carb". don't take any of that *you know what*. I've learned to fix my own equipment and I suggest that you do the same. unless I really NEED parts from them, I buy my parts from other places, like parts tree (their a sponser here) and j-thomas.com. I have delt more with j-thomas than parts tree, and I know that they have everything you need.

right now, belt idler pulley bolt just sheared inside the deck, of my exmark, I could take it to them, but I know it will be faster for me to buy the tools and do it myself.

I would be happy to try to help you seeing that I am on the same island. granted, I am a 15 year old, so I understand if you don't want any. :p

I have never worked much on hydro systems, mainly because mine have never broken down, but one thing you have to remember, is if a pump breaks, there's going to be contamination in the lines leading to another hydro failure soon down the road. I have a general idea, and knowledge of how hydro pumps and wheel motors work, just not too much practical experience.

a hydro leak should NOT be hard to fix. if I can't help you, I know some people who can at least guide you through the process. you can E-mail me at christcll@yahoo.com and we'll talk.

chris.

8. Polo field slave

from HI

GoodMorning,
    My local toro dealer wants $785 with shipping for that deck motor.
    Anyone want to check with there dealer to compare for me?
    It is part #94-4907. Does any other supplier offer one as well?
    I would be interested to know any big price differences. The napa oil filter was the same as the donaldson. Thanks!

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

ok, are you talking about the toro 580Z? or the toro 16' rough cut mower?

if I were you, I WOULD NOT order the part from LEAR yet. I would call up parts tree, or j-thomas, and get their price on it. the dealers mark the price up 30%, so I am sure you can get a better price somewhere else. I cannot actually find the exact mower you are using, so I am having trouble finding parts for it.

10. Polo field slave

from HI

The mower is a toro 580-d 16" rotary, the above is the part number for the engine.