1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro 580D engine swap?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnCrafters, May 11, 2007.

1. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

You bet electric would work. I would use them as a pusher OR puller but not both.
  2. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

Why not both?

desii - we haven't determined what exactly caused the valve to break in the first place. Also if you happen to need any parts for the older engine on your machine let me know. I'm probably just going to part it out since the new one is complete and most of the parts aren't interchangeable. Still has a good turbo, manifolds, injection pump, fuel solinoid, water pump, etc. Stuff thats super expensive new.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I installed a 16" puller (Mounted to the inside) on my small block Chevy truck and it cools just fine, I see no reason why one wouldn't work on a mower. It may be even better than the stock fan.
  4. bridley

bridley LawnSite Member

how did that sts-dt conversion go ? any big problems
  5. gbscout

gbscout LawnSite Member

do you have the head off the old motor you switched out still?
  6. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

This thread is only 6 years old....
    Think I saw the part you were looking for on RestroRobs bench...
    Check the Messy Bench thread....
  7. desii

desii LawnSite Member

If your looking for the head off of the Detroit Diesel, I think I still have it (complete engine possibly). I'll have to check, I think I switched out the 580 Mitsu too, so I'm not sure which engine is here. Let me know which one your looking for and I'll take a look in the next day or so to see what I have.
  8. gbscout

gbscout LawnSite Member

I am looking for the Mitsubishi head, older engine model 1996.
  9. mle

mle LawnSite Member

looking for 1997 toro 580d parts
  10. desii

desii LawnSite Member

I do have the head from the Mitsubishi engine. Actually it's still on the engine. However,as you can see from the attached pic, the valve cover has a pretty size able hole in it. Let me know if you need anything else, i.e. model or serial number.