Toro 580D?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Aug 27, 2001.

1. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Found a Toro 580D coming up auction soon and was wondering
    whether they were a good proposition for large area mowing.
    Are they normally reliable?
    What quality cut do they give?
    How much do they weigh?
    Ground speed?
    I've attached a pic.

Any input appreciated. :)

2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We have two of the Toro 580D. They work well for mowing large areas. Just remember repairs cans be more expensive with these larger machines. Depending on the cost at auction, do you have enough use for this machine. Also try and find out some history on the unit, does it have any problems that you may hate yourself for later?
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have all the specs e-mail if you want more.
    width transport=7' 11" mow 16' 3"
    height transport raised 7' 11" mow 4' 11"
    length 14'
    total wt. 6540 lbs

I've got 2 whole pages of specs that I'll scan and send to you if you want.

I've never owned or operated one but the parks dept in town does and they are tough machines.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

our towns park dept has two of those and they just got a new jacobsen. they look like they work well, and the towns had them for a while. sorry, cant help you out though. never driven one.
  5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Good to see ya mate! How are things on the underside of the world?

Anyway, we have a smaller groundsmaster without the sidewings and it works great.

The contractor the mows the reset of the turf on base has the 580's and they work great. I see them zipping through everything and they give a great cut. The thing I like the most is you can run the sides independently, maeaning you could put one side up and cut with the rest. It's a great feature for tight spots.

Good Luck, and let us know how you make out!
  6. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Dave! Things are pretty good down here. Are you still in
    Germany? I like the idea of indepndent decks. Are they hydraulic
    drive decks? Any idea on ground speeds on these? Wondering
    about transport speeds around subdivisions.

7. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

Transport speed up to 20 mph!
    One hydraulic drive per deck.
    Be carefull, they're HIGH maintenance and parts aren't cheap.
  8. Probably THE best mower ever. Practically indestructable. And I personally have mowed hay fields until in a couple of years they look like golf courses.
    Quality of cut is impecable. But it's a "drop" mower not a discharge, so it doesn't lite grass too tall and heavy. Just normal grass.

Actually they transport at 25 mph (sorry I don't know what that'd be in km)

These mowers have a loss of hydraulic fluid shut down switch. It's located in the oil tank. It doesn't work worth a crap. It shuts the mower down all the time, resulting in some less than skilled oprerators hitting the starter all the time. This chews the teeth off of of the flywheel.
    So check the flywheel for chewed up teeth. Because you have to disassemble all of the hydraulic pack on that end of the engine to replace the flywheel. It's costly.

The stupid loss of hydraulic fluid switch is an easy fix. Just remove the cup holder pannel. The 4 wires coming out of the tank get snipped. Two are wired together for a normally closed operation. The other two insulated for a normally open operation. (I forget which is which right now)
    The other thing these machines are prone to is the front deck motor turning 5 blades gets weak. Check the quality of cut. Center deck OK? The new deck motors are over $700 US, and rebuild kits aren't available thru Toro. (I did find out which brand of motor it is though and I have it on file somewhere.)
    Are the wheel motors leaking? If so they'll need rebuilt.

Check the main PTO shaft. Is there ANY vibiration in the floorboards when in operation? If so someone's neglected to grease the main shaft. If it's severe there could be damage to the main pumps. If minor, it's a simple universal joint available everywhere.

The "brain box" controls everything. It's either good or bad. It's $700 also. Does the mower start OK? Hold the key "on" in about 3 seconds the brain starts the machine.
    Look for home grown wiring. If someone's been bypassing everything I'd pass on that mower. The safety switches will last over ten years without problems. No need for jerry rigging this machine.

If the motor starts and runs OK it's OK. The mechanic at Toro said they run 10,000 hrs without problems.

If it's been idled too much they break off the air cleaner and muffler mounts. No big deal. Every thing else is minor. Even the water pump has a grease fitting.
    Nice little Mitsubishi Engine.

How many hours are on the machine? It looks like it has the urethane deck tires. They are great. The main drive tires look good too. Nice sunshade.

Hope this helps

9. LawnCrafters

I agree with everything David Said. My manual says 20 mph though. Doesn't really matter, it's fast. Feels like 50 on a lawnmower!
    The solid casters are a life saver since there's 12 on it. The solid tires are pretty heavy, but whats an extra 100lbs when it already weighs 6500lbs with a full tank. Mines actually around 7000 with the cab. Which brings me to another point. Don't go anywhere near soft ground. You'll get it stuck faster than you can imagine and all that efficiency is lost when you have to come back to a site to repair ruts.
    And get a pneumatic grease gun if you don't already have one, there's 80 grease points on this machine!
  10. LawnCrafters

Just thought of a few important things.
    Check the blade spindles. With the deck up grab the blade and rock it side to side. If there is any play or knocking feeling, it probably needs to be rebuilt. If you feel confident doing it yourself the parts are about $60 per spindle. I've rebuilt all 11 on our machine, most needed it and some were more of a preventative measure.
    Check the deck pulleys for wear too. Feel the groove in the drive and spindle pulleys for a ridge. These can wear out and chew up $100 belts daily.
    And if you buy it, I would reconmend replacing all the filters immediately (fuel, water seperator, hydro, oil, air), it's cheap insurance. If something major goes wrong with the machine, it's expensive to fix. And when you have a machine like this down for much time you have a lot of ground to make up.