Toro 593-D

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robmorris, Sep 10, 2007.

1. robmorris

robmorris LawnSite Member

I just purchased a new Toro 593-D with sixty inch deck. The manual says to engage blades at full throttle. My problem is that it almost seems to stall with this method. Is this the nature of the beast, or do I have a problem?
    I would like to hear from current or previous owners.

Thanks,

Rob

2. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello ,yes i own the bigger brother the 597 /60 ,in my manual it states half throttle .Engaging clutch at either idle or full throttle does invite other problems which will catch up with u eventually .

The main issue is torque and its effects on the power train at either idle or max rpm .

After investigating with a belt company in depth :dizzy: the conclusion is there is both positives and negatives 4 either type of engagement.

As it is such a HUGE COMPROMISE 4 either method a mid level is what was recomended to me'

TOMO:waving:

3. robmorris

Thanks for the response. My manual states.

3. place the throttle in the fast position.

NOTE: Engaging the PTO with the throttle at the half or less position will
    cause excessive wear to the drive belts.

Any other help?

Rob

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Genarally you want to engage at the lowest rpm possible. With that machine, though, you need close to full throttle to keep from stalling. We had one of these machines for a couple days last season and held off making the purchase; I was afraid the high rpm egagemant would shorten clutch and belt life.

In response to your original question, I believe it is the nature of the beast with all 593's. It is a great machine, though, in all other aspects. Good luck with it.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Not the same mower but my manual states to engage at full throttle and its an electric clutch.

6. Bigdog9501

Bigdog9501 LawnSite Member

I would be interested in knowing how these mowers are performing for you. Likes and dislikes? I am looking at either the Toro or possibly going with the kubota diesel. Thanks.

7. robmorris

As I am a homeowner and have 5.5 hours on mine, I don't feel that I should respond, although other than this one concern, I love it. Just FYI I got .6 Gal. per hour when I filled it back up. (topped off)

Rob

8. Bigdog9501

Bigdog9501 LawnSite Member

You have the 23 Kubota diesel right Rob? That was the mower I was looking at but still not sure what I am going to buy. The mpg is why I would buy the diesel and the increased power. But would like to hear more about it? How is the cut? Does it stripe? Do you have the Turbo Force deck? How does the adjustable baffles work?

9. robmorris

Like I said, I just got it. It has been so dry down here that I couldn't even find any grass to mow. My son-in-law put 5 of the five and 1/2 hours on it while I was on vacation, mowing my yard, his yard, and a softball field at the school where his sister coaches. Everything that I know about it, I learned here on Lawnsite. The Turbo deck is supposed to be top notch, but only good thick green grass will tell. I'll probably have to wait until next spring. Wish I could be more helpful.

Rob

10. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello with an electric clutch system engaging system at idle will place belt system under to much stress with out the power to drive the load .[situation is at its worst during the first second etc ][torque is also not applied smoothly as most of us only have 2 or 3 cylinder engines ][the greater amount of cylinders the greater the belt life ]

At full throttle the instant load applied by the clutch, shock loads system which is not good and typically leads to shorter belt/pulley life.

A tension engagement as per walker is the least stress on belt drive system as it is slower very gradual engagement

robmorris
    Reference to fast throttle can mean any position above idle .Notice how it was not stated as full throttle .As u can expect toro in this area is a little standoff ish [non comitted ]
    The turbo force is an excellent deck ,performs well in tall thick wet grass . It still can be loaded up to much in deep grass but operate machine with foot on height pedal and just lift up as needed .
    turbo force s/d 60 inch is way better than my walkers with a s/d 52 .The grass comes out of the t/force much easier

tomo:waving: