1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Atomic Mulching Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bjlawnman, Jul 24, 2007.

1. bjlawnman

bjlawnman LawnSite Member

This year I decided to switch to atomic mulching blades on my toro 48inch walk behind. They left a strip in between where the blades overlapped so i brought then back and found they gave me the wrong set of blades. Now I put the new ones on and still have the same problem. Has anyone had this problem? I am strongly thinking of going back to the high lifts. They do chop up the grass very well but the way they cut is terrible. Any suggestions?? Thanks, BJ
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking of trying these on my mower and I hope you find they work well. Let me know if you get them working and how they do.
  3. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I can't use the atomic blades by toro or the mambas or anything like them. For some reason I don't get near the quality of cut that I get with the original high lift blade.
  4. mztrish

mztrish LawnSite Member

you may want to be certain you are not trying to use ATOMIC blades where only'gator' blades can go. Gator is a resgistered trademark patentyed blade by the oregon company and no one has been able to compare. The oregon company has not created 'gator' blades for all mowers.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I just use the Atomics for leaf kill in the fall. Not completely sure why you are having the problem with uncut grass but a few things to think about are , is mulch kit installed, height of cut determines how much vacuum you get. I have had bad results if I use other than standard blades for side discharge. Also, I don't advocate this but I have used a hi-lift/atomic configuration (double + blades) with great results cutting. Before you think its the answer I went thru 2 clutches on my WB with the doubles.
    Don't know if I helped but its just another possible path to think about.
  6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I have uncut grass between my blades but it doesn't happen when I go straight, only when I'm on a curve. The faster I go around the curve the more pronounced the uncut grass is.

36" wb, I just don't think they overlap enough.

Also, I have two small toros, a 21" super recycler and a 22" recycler. The 22" ONLY comes with the atomic blade and it is complete CRAP for grass that is growing if you're trying to mulch and still looks strange if you're bagging. In fact I have to bag with the 22" now because it leaves such a mess when mulching.
    The 21" come with a normal blade and it will do a MUCH better job mulching through the same grass.. only the back wheels lock up when you try and pull it back so it's a pita to use.
  7. bjlawnman

bjlawnman LawnSite Member

Well I went out and bought a new pair of high lift blades and they cut great. They don't chop up the grass as well but the cut is superb compared to the atomic blades.
  8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio