Toro Atomic vs Toro Recycler Blades...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you used the Toro Atomic and or the Toro Recycler blades?

I have the new 04 model Toro with 60'' Turbo Force deck and am just trying out different blades and am interested in your opinion of them please....

so far my thoughts on these blades are,
    the high lift notched standard is great, not bad when used with the mulch kit either, longest cutting edge.

the Atomic, quite good generally, good in dry bermuda, tends to streak due to the lack of sail on the end of the blade, like one of the sails has been removed....lift could be better to give a cleaner cut between blades though.

The recycler blades just arrived, they are a blat blade with less cutting edge than the high lift, same sail height but forged up at the corner to give directional flow inwards. I haven't tried these yet....

It appears I can't get gator magnums here, though there is a gator that will fit, as it isn't cateloged under Toro, supplier can't understand how they would suit and says an exmark designed blade can't fit my toro....great eh? Right specs etc, makes ya wander! :)

Anyway, that's what my post is about, just comments, views on these Toro blades, thanks!

Oh, the new mower? lovin' it! no faults to date, no querks, heaps of grunt, build is unbreakable, great design etc. Very happy with it.

Installing the mulch kit is a chore though, but once done is worth it, adjustable flow baffle is surprisingly effective, clever stuff.
  2. Tonyr

anyone able to give a comment please?

Don't worry, I won't bump it up again :)
  3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Hi Tony, even a non-Magnum Gator brand blade has much better lift than the Atomics & will mulch leaves better than a Toro Recycler.

On the left is a regular Gator beside an Atomic. The Atomics suck IMO.

4. Tonyr

Thanks Fareway.

What are the Recycle blades particularly good at over gators and even Atomics? Anything?

Leaves here aren't a issue, thick damp, and long grasses like bermuda and native rubbish out of control are my daily challenges, and side discharging isn't practical in many places so I work the mulch kit hard.

I have the recyclers here but haven't tried them yet, raining, I do think they shouldn't streak like my atomics do in thick going though due to the lift being at the end of the blade, not half an inch in like an atomic, buggers me why toro designed a blade with no lift at the end....

I think they must of changed the amount of lift on the atomics, in your pic the sail is very low, mine are similar to a standard gator which I have....

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Toro Recycler blades are better for the conditions you describe. None of the serrated edged blades cut lush turf well. I hope you have the Turbo Force deck; SFS is too shallow for mulching.
  6. Tonyr

Hi Fareway,

yep, got a 60'' Turbo Force deck, hasn't faulted in anyway yet, and the defelectors on the mulch kit really work, stops gooey grass from clogging and seems to help distribute the mulch evenly, awesome mulch kit! Takes awhile to fit but works great.

Even side discharging long thick stuff with atomic blades is easy, easy 8 ft throw, high lifts 12 ft plus easy, and I mean long thick, lush muck.

One mean deck!