toro bagging mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B&B LAWN, Nov 17, 2003.

1. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

do any of you have one of these mowers. whats the difference between it and a walker. and about how much do they cost. give me the good and the bad about the machine

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I own both a Walker with 25hp Kohler engine, 48"GHS deck, high lift catcher.
    And a Z355 Toro, 25hp Kohler, 48" mulch/catch deck.

The Walker cuts well, very good in tight areas due to super light steering, high lift catcher is fantastic, traction is not as good as I would like due to little wheels, dampening etc, it does what it was meant to do well, but on hillsides, yuck, damp grass, yuck, wet grass, ok, very dirty in dusty conditions, more than other types, I don't like the flimsey chassis, expensive to repair transmissions, opperator positioning is very good, they cut and catch, so long stringers go through the blower, then these are a finishing mower only. Basically they aren't as wide in stance as mid mounts and the Toro z355 and the high lift catcher mucks up the centre of gravity when on hills. Worth the trade off though if you catch and dump into ute etc.

Overall good for small ride on jobs where quality of cut is important and where maneurvering is frequent. Good mower, flimsey build.

The Toro z355, no comparison, built like a tank, fully commercial, unbreakable as the saying goes, better blower fan, 2 mode deck, mulch/catch, packs the catcher much tighter, wide stance, large tyres, low centre of gravity, cut is better than Walker in catch mode, and as a mulcher, I haven't seen better yet. Blades are excellent.
    The only problem I've had is with a batch of faulty drive shafts, all warrantee so not a concern really (if the deck vibrates, that is a bent shaft and dealer will need to get you another, if not it will screw the centre bearings out of the deck gearbox, both brands run the same/similar system), these things are as fast as, steering isn't as sensitive as Walker, shame, but to compare side by side they make walkers look like home owner stuff, the beafy toro dominates, great built quality, hold on hills like glue, faster, not as dirty to opperate, better quality catcher and components.

The Walker will jarr the cr@p outa you with those little drive wheels, the Toro is much, much better, but in rough fast mowing you can't beat a suspension seat, to me knowledge neither brand supply one for these models, bummer.

My Walker is for sale obviously!

Choose the Toro, I can't think of any faults....lighter steering would be a plus, but light steering to an unexperienced opperator can mean scuffing turf and jerking the machine around, but once used to it light steering is great, that is the only thing I would change, I do like Walker's steering/speed control system, great when you get used to it! imo, walker is med. duty/ estate mowers, with commercial engines, many crack chassis's etc, the toro, it will last as long as you, cut quality is tops in a huge variety of conditions, and are fully commercial, a true contractors machine.

No comparision, some walker owners will obviously dissagree, but how many own both and can compare them side by side on jobs?

Buy the Toro Z355, you won't be dissapointed, plus the dual purpose deck is excellent!

Tony. :drinkup:

3. Mako

Mako LawnSite Member

My Toro Z325 went from the worst mower I could have bought to the best by simply belt dressing the slipping blower belt. This machine does a lot of functions in one unit and any flaw in the system makes it look bad. The unit I bought could not be sold by the dealer because he could not make it work, either the controls or the vacuum system. I got a good deal and took a chance. A little understanding and minor changes as well as a 1hr. talk with a Toro customer tech. made all the difference. I see these units for sale cheap compaired to list price. Either the dealer or owner didn't need this type of unit in the first place or more likely don't know how to make it work. My controls are now the same as those in Tony's newer unit and it does everything he says. Mine never plugs up, grass or leaves, but most people who don't like them say they plug up all the time. It is the exact machine I wanted.

4. Tonyr

That's great to hear Mako, I'm glad it worked out for you.

When you really get the hang of them they really perform, that dampening system may not be walker soft, but it scuffs a lot less too and you can really swing the beasts around and not damage the turf, you will be surprised how quick these can neatly cut at high speeds too.

They are smoother and more durable and versatile compared to the walker brand for commercial toughness, imo.

Mako, these don't have blocking problems....the famous walker brand will block up before the toro.

Hey Mako, do you do much mulching with your red beast?

Mine makes the clippings dissapear, and I use the toro blade, they are smart blades! Same blade I use to catch, high sail and curled, when they wear the sail down a bit they mulch better, you can get a dedicated mulch blade too, very low sail, curled.

That blower belt slipping, I always find I need to spray belt-grip on it, probably because of the dust, sap, fumes etc in my trailer where I hang it when not in use, but no biggie. Drive belt never slips.

Does your deck have anti scalp wheels fitted?

Mine doesn't, for some reason it doesn't scalp either....but I saw a mower like mine at the service agent a few months ago and it was fitted up with anti scalpers....always wander about that...

Just keep an eye out on your drive shaft to deck, if it doesn't run smooth, get it looked at.

Tony.

5. Mako

Mako LawnSite Member

Tony, my deck has 4 wheels on the deck. About 4" dia. round balls. Next summer I am going to set up for mulching. We are making too much compost with the bagger. Glad to hear that it mulches well.

6. Tonyr

Hi Mako,

If yours mulches like mine, you won't want to be baggin' grass again! Shame they never made a gator type of blade for these, but the Toro ones work fine anyway, but counter rotating blades have limits as to blade options...I love to try those MEG-MO blades, pretty expensive to get them to australia though, freight costs as much as the product. Lots of dollars in our currency!

Tony.

7. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys i love the feedback ive gotten out of you. how much did these machines cost ya

8. Tonyr

B&B LAWN

In Aussie dollars they sell for about $23500, same price as Hustler Super Z's, Toro Z masters, and I expect Exmarks with the same or similar horse power engines. These are very tough machines, not to be compared to the Walker brand, totally different built and more versatile and duable, I think the cut is better too.

Tony.