1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

toro belt drive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by challenger55, Jul 21, 2003.

1. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

hey guys my dad is now letting me get a walkbehind
    i am thinking about getting a toro belt drive w/ a 44" floating deck w/ a 15 kaw what do you guys think

one of the reasons i am consindering this is because of the t-bar

have some questions for ya

how does it cut?
    which kind of velky should i get? (thinking about a two wheeled one)
    is a 15 kaw enough power?
  2. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

CONGRATS!! QOC is excellent on Toro (made there rep in the golf course biz)

15 horse is enough power for the mower - how big are you? Weight is a consideration - have you looked at the vilkey Toro offers - TruTrax doesn't pivot is mounted solid to the unit- backing up is a breeze
  3. davesgs75

davesgs75 LawnSite Member

Finally talked Dad into it huh?

you have been looking around at Hill Lawn mower. Right?

My Toro has a 17 HP motor, but I know a guy in town that has one with the 15. He said it works great, last I heard he was going to buy another.

I like the T bar better than the pistol grips that was on my John Deere.

the toro gives a pretty good cut.

Get the two wheel Velke, mine has the single wheel, and I donnot like the pattern it leaves on the grass. to many tire marks.

One thing to remember with a belt drive, if the belt gets wet it will slip. When I replace my WB I will get a hydro.

Have you been to Central Lawn and looked at the Exmark? They don't have the T bar but the guys on here seem to like them, you may want to see what all is out there.

Hope this helps
  4. challenger55

i will probably go to hills or try get it somewhere else if it cheaper
  5. davesgs75

davesgs75 LawnSite Member

Call Dixie Auto in Athens they may be able to beat Hills price. They have beat them on price of parts for me.
  6. challenger55

some other question

i know the decks on this mower will not recut the grass but can you really tell?

how does the mulching kit do?

do you need to do a 3point turn with this mower?

how well does it cut in tall grass?
  7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats an outright lie. If yours are slipping, they are not adjusted right.

I recomend that you get the 48" toro fixed deck gear driven walk behind. It comes with the 15 Kaw, which will be plenty of power. The deck of the 48" toro is the exact same deck that is used on Exmark mowers that recieve such fame. It does recut the grass, and does a fine job at that. I got mine, 3 years ago, for $2500 or so. I would expect you will be spending around $2800 for yours. Any more questions, just ask.
  8. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I run a Toro 44" gear drive with a 14 hp Kohler.I use a Jungle Jim's sulky and love the combination.The belt slipping thing is greatly overstated like MacLawnCo said . If they are slipping it takes 30 seconds to adjust them even if your in the middle of a yard. NO TOOLS The T-Bar is awsome and very easy to learn. As far as them not cutting clippings small enough if your cutting off 6" of grass you will have to double cut.Mine is on it's 5th season and I'm looking at new ones and am thinking of buying another just like it.By the way the 44" will drive straight through a 4' gate.
  9. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

ive got the same exact mower you are wanting. go with it! i have had mine 2 years never had a problem. the cut is great get a jungle jim velke. i bought a mulch kit for mine but took it off this year, grass clumped up to much up under the deck

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I have ( 2) 44 Toro's - a 15hp gear drive and a 14hp hydro. I have almost all hills around here and weigh 200lbs, single wheel velkies on both - no problems. The machines work great for me and I think the cut is very nice, especially when the grass is tall or wet. I personally think the floating decks are worth their weight in gold for the wide range of height adjustability - especially in spring when things are growing fast. :)