1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Bought out eXmark???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Nov 23, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

At my dealer this moring (Toro and Great ane dealer) and I saw an exmark Lazer Hp lC, Xp (your probably thinking "big deal" but we don't have exmark down here) So I had a chat to him about it and he told me that Toro bought out Exmark and the new Toro with the Turbo force deck is just an exmark with a Toro badge.

He also told me Exmark is suing Kubota for using the same deck design as theirs on their new "Pro Cut" Kubota decks. :nono:

Has anybody else heard these things?

It's news to me..................Just thought some of you might be intrested.

BTW: those diesel LC exmarks look like their too low to the ground at the rear.
  2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Yeah, Toro has owned eXmark for as long as I've known. Atleast a year I think.
  3. greensideup

greensideup LawnSite Member

Yes- my dealer told me this a couple years ago. However- until this new turbo force deck came out- the exmark deck was way better. It was tougher, deeper, & provided a better cut than the toro, especially in high or wet grass. The exmark deck will fit on the toro Z chassis. SCOTT
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I think your Toro dealer is doing a tiny dis-service to the equipment he sells by saying that. They are basically similar, but there are quite a few small differences.
  5. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Jwing: I wasn't aware...............Shows how up to date I am with industrie news.

Greensideup: Yeh the old toro SFS decks were pretty cr#p.

Envey: They had a LC Exmark there that had a Toro Zmaster sticker on the back and an Exmark Lazer Z sticker on the front. They were in the middle of putting badges on it.
    I don't lnow what the story is there.???
  6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Toro bought Exmark a couple of years ago. I heard that they were to run them as separate companies for 3 years. That time might be up now? Toro might be "borrowing" some of the Exmark items (DECK) that made it the best cutter out there (IMHO).

7. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

Mike you heard wrong, they made toro and exmark for yrs in my town Evansville IN, I know alot of guys who worked there and Monday they assembled exmarks and on Tuesday they would assemble Toro's. That Plant has been in Evansville for 15yrs was just a Toro Plant untill they bought exmark, both were built at that Plant. They moved last yr to Mexico so there no longer built here in town, all i know is both models were assembled by the same workers, Don't know about the tooling Dept.....Marks Mowing Service
  8. gidday mate .....toro aquirred exmark in 1997
  9. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I believe Toro also bought out LawnBoy some time ago.
  10. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

EXmarks and toro's are built at the Exmark headquaters in Beatrice, NE. Same place they have been built for the last several years. Several other manufactures are all in the same town, Encore's corporate headquarters is right across the street.