Toro ccr Snowthrower question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by shopteacher, Dec 5, 2006.

1. shopteacher

shopteacher LawnSite Member

Hey guys, long time no talk.
    I have a couple toro ccr 1000's. They have the tecumseh motors in them with the snoblower serial numbers of 38190 (I think). I got one running, but when you lean it down she smokes. I haven't checked compression, but she runs pretty good. I am pretty sure gas/oil mix is getting into the crankcase and burning when I lean it.
    Is this normal?
    If not, does that mean a new ring kit?
    Is it worth putting rings in?
    I know you cant bore it out, but she runs good, except when you lean it.
    Your comments are mucho appreciato.
    Shopteacher

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

What I remember about ccr1000's was that they did have Tecumseh's with a bowl/float type non adjustable carb. I haven't checked www.toro.com to veryify that for sure, but I don't remember them having mixture adjustment screws. Tecumseh's were notorious for accumulating fuel/oil mixture in the crankcase from sitting with fuel. With the engine running try tilting the handle up then down several times to evacuate the accumulated material in the crankcase. If there is mixture present the unit will smoke excessively. If the carb has adjustment screw(s), I stand corrected. If you didn't replace needle and seat you could be using excessive fuel through a faulty needle/seat thereby causing the smoking. The ccr 2000's have suzuki engines and are much more trouble free.

Dutch

3. shopteacher

shopteacher LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, hopefully it's the needle and seat.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have worked with a few toro snow blowers. If there is no adjustment on the carb, try just letting them smoke themselves out.