Toro classic deck 44" mulch kits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Feb 5, 2004.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a '98 Toro 44" wb with the "classic" style deck. I checked my serial number vs. the online Toro parts finder and unfortunately my model does not show it as being mulch capable, while units produced with other serial numbers that year do show a kit.

Does anyone familiar with Toros know if I can buy a kit for a current classic deck and make it fit my deck? I can drill holes and dremel off bits, but I'm not a welder and don't want to get involved with fabricating anything major.

Or, if that's not going to work, does anyone know of a OCDC that fits the Toro 44"?

Also, I think I've seen more recent classic deck versions with a trim-side antiscalp wheel that this unit lacks. Anyone got suggestions on a quick and easy way to get one on it or where to get an appropriate wheel assembly? Toro isn't big around here, not sure I can find a dealer close enough, and even then, I'm not sure they would be up for it.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I bought my Toro in April of 1999 but I believe it is still the old style 44" deck. I did purchase the mulch kit for it back then and the dealer was the one that installed it. Yes, you have to actually drill the holes in the deck yourself. There were no predrilled holes for the kit.
    I don't mulch grass here as it is too wet most of the time so the mulch kit sits until it is leaf season. Last year I left the mulch kit off and just used my homemade OCDC. I still have to perfect it with a handle but it really works great because when the debris gets too heavy it just pushes the door up and discharges a little. Prior to that a full deck would snub the motor.

I used the factory chute and bent it at a 90 and cut the excess off the bottom. When we mow in the summer we just use the bungee cord and strap it up. Like I said, I'm workin on a design to make it a true OCDC but the concept works for us so far.

june3 158.jpg

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Here is one with it up

mar03 215.jpg

4. brucec32

thanks, that's exactly what I thought I might do if I had to make my own. Use the existing discharge shoot and hinges.

I'll be using it on wet days to replace the lazer in spots that are too soggy, and as a backup, so actually an ocdc might be better than the mulch kit anyway.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Toro mulch kits for SFS Walks are extremely heavy & will make tilting deck while mowing very difficult.

The 36" SFS was the only deck w/out a mulch kit avail. until recently. Can you post a pic of this "Classic" 44" deck? The only differences between the classic & new design should be in the carrier frame & Not the Deck. The 44" SFS has remained the same for countless years.

6. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

im looking to buy a 44". If anyone has one to sell.

7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52 Toro old style. for leaves I use Gators. I had an early

44 before no gauge wheels. I used a piece of Handi-Angle for

OCDC. I find once over with Toro, pick up with my Walker. ED

8. brucec32

there was a distinct difference in toro 44" decks. I had the SFS on a 2001 hydro model and it was definitely different than the '98 44" deck I have on this belt drive. It used the exmark style vertical height adjusters instead of the horizontal style pins. I can't swear to it now but I'm pretty sure the deck shape was different.

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Bruce32, the vertical height adjust vs. the horizontal is the Carrier Frame, not the deck.. The "New Design" basically tries to fit the SFS decks to the eXmark carrier frame & result is a Bloody Mess, which is why Toro is going back to the Classic. There should be no difference in the Actual Deck.

10. brucec32

Ok, I took another look at the parts drawings online and that makes sense. The only real difference that I can see is the newer decks have a blowout baffle or something that sticks out on the front edge and a anti-scalp wheel on the trim side that mine lacks.