Toro Clutch Problems?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GREENITUP, Aug 9, 2004.

1. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

I'VE BEEN WORKING ON MY GROUNDSMASTER FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS NOW. IT WAS BLOWING FUSES WHILE CUTTING, PTO DIS-ENGUAGING SPORATICALLY, AND AFTER A WHILE , THE ENGINE WOULDN'T EVEN TURN OVER. I CHECKED ALL OF THE WIRES - THE CASINGS ARE NOT COMPRIMISED OR BURNT THROUGH ANYWHERE. THE CLUTCH KICKS ON AND OFF FINE WITH A FLICK OF THE STITCH , BUT START TO CUT, AND IT BLOWS A FUSE IN NO TIME. AND A SMALLER THAN 30 AMP WILL BLOW INSTANTLY THEN FLIPPING THE PTO SWITCH WITH ENGINE RUNNING. CAN THE CLUTCH BE GETTING SO HOT, IT WILL BLOW FUSES LIKE THAT? EVEN IF IT APPEARS TO BE WORKING OK OTHERWISE? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT?

2. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

I would appear that your clutch is probaly grounding out inside. As it has enough to blow a small fuse and the larger can resist longer. I would say , get a new or a good used clutch and your problems are solved.I know parts are not cheap. but neither is a break down on the job.

3. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

you are right about parts being expensive, rt...new clutch assembly is $200. you say they can ground out inside the clutch itself??? i haven't taken it appart - and don't realy want to - but it is a pretty old machine and it is reasonable that it go out after this long in service. do you know of any way to test it for sure before i buy a new one? anything else it could possibly be?

thanks for the insite.