Toro cutting off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gml9, Aug 23, 2004.

1. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

My Toro 52 recently started cutting off during mowing. Not sure why...it seems to do fine....then all of a sudden the motor surges and seconds after that it cuts off. Starts right back up. I'm thinking it is something electrical possibly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just changed the oil and put on new/sharp blades. Could the plug be fouled?

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds like you may have a safety switch problem. I thank Toro has wiring diagrams on line

3. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response...I'll check online. I had a problem with the button to engage the blades(electrical) a month ago and put it in the shop(took forever) and they replaced something underneath the button(I think). Very poor service at this service place....so I'm hoping I can correct my new problem. Could this be part of my new problem.

4. BladesAway

BladesAway LawnSite Member
    from Ok

Sounds like the safety switch under the seat.

5. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

There isn't a switch under the seat....it is a walk behind!!!

6. fixer67

On a walk behind the "seat switch" is moved to the handle bars. You let go of the safety handle with out the parking brake set or the blade switched off and the engine dies just like a rider.

7. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

I still need info on fixing my problem...now that we know where the safety switch is. What should I be looking for in there? Short? Fuse? It is a pain in the ass to be mowing and have it shut down on you.....embarrassing too!

8. BladesAway

BladesAway LawnSite Member
    from Ok

Sorry, I assumed it was a rider besause of the deck size and I had that same problem with my z-255. Switch went bad.

9. fixer67

You need a wiring diagram if you do not know the system. Some safety switches are NC (Nominally Closed) and some are NO (Nominally Open). If you do not fully understand this type of system you may be better off getting some one who does. If you just start cutting and twisting wires you could burn out the ignition system. I have to replace at least one coil a week at work from owners trying to by pass safety switches. Most safety switches are adjustable. As for what to look for it could be a lose switch, a lose wire or a damaged wire. You will have to get meter and start tracing wires. this is the kind of thing that is really a hands on type of thing. Sorry I can not help more.