1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro dealer says mulch kit is a waste?Agree or Disagree?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cavaselis, Jul 12, 2005.

1. cavaselis

cavaselis LawnSite Member

I purchased a 48" fixed deck walk behind for my house I pick it up saturday and the dealer said not to waiste my money on the mulch kit that "these things spin so quick theres nothing left".Is this true or should I add the mulch kit?
  2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

is he saying that side discharging produces the true mulched clippings that a mulch kit does? hmmmmmmm, not true lol.

I don't know about your particular deck, but the last 2 toro's I've owned can mulch, and do so fantastic, but mulching is not for damp, long grasses etc....
    but I side discharge for speed, but the mulch kit was always neater hiding the clippings.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Is he talking about a mulching plate we don't use em on our machines.
  4. cavaselis

cavaselis LawnSite Member

He says that the "stock setup" will not leave any grass to be seen.Is this correct If not I will have him add the mulch kit.I need to know soon so he can add it for me before the weekend.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing that I find the mulch kit useful for is for mulching leaves in the fall. The cool season grass cannot be mulched well in the spring when everything is wet and went it drys out in the summer it side discharges well. But for making dust out of leaves a mulch kit and atomic blades really make dust.

aug4 2069.jpg