Toro diesel and tracking a yard?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guthrie&Co, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

I am thinking about the toro diesel. But my main concern is the weight diffrence and tracking a yard up. i usually change directions whenever i can to prevent it but i think the diesel might be a bit heavy. what are your experinces with this?
    the diesel model is about 300 lbs heavier than the gasoline equal

2. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

Does Toro use the same size tires on the Diesel model as on the Gasoline model? Pounds per square inch on the ground might be more important than total weight.

3. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

Well is there a magic number on the lbs per sq inch that you should not exceed?
    I just checked the website and the width is the same. 12inches

4. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

It's obvious that if the engine is heavier with the same size tires, the pressure on the ground will be more. With farm equipment and off road equipment, it seems that the larger and heavier the machine is the larger the tires. I would also be interested in what formula the lawn equipment manufacturers use to determine tire size and width.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt very much that 300 pounds will make all that much difference. We run some Toro 325D Groundsmasters that come in around 2K total weight and I have never had a problem with them rutting in a yard.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Mr Rodfather

What size tires are on your toros. Oh Happy New Year:waving:

7. rodfather

Have no clue JG...will have to get back to ya on that. Happy New Year as well!

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I do think you have bigger tires on your toros then the Zero turns do. If you have accounts that you have to go slower or do alot of turns you would better off with a lighter machine.

9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

We have used diesel mowers on residential properties in the past...slight rutting issues in colder wet weather. With a 1800 pound weight for the mowers we moved them on to only commercial larger complexes.

10. rodfather

The other advantage is they are long (decks are out front) and have the weight distributed over a larger wheelbase.